Official Review: Monty the fish goes to the zoo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Official Review: Monty the fish goes to the zoo

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Monty the fish goes to the zoo" by Vivienne Alonge.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Monty, a literal fish out of water, isn’t the only animal acting strangely in Vivienne Alonge’s whimsical children’s book, Monty the Fish Goes to the Zoo. At the zoo, Monty and a friendly worm observe eighteen different animals. As Monty and the worm progress through the zoo, each animal they observe joins their party. This makes for some interesting illustrations, as all of the animals with Monty are visible in each picture.

Each animal is given a page with a simple sentence describing what they’re doing. The following page is a full-page illustration of the act described, with Monty, the worm, and other animals as onlookers. The illustrations are vibrant and colorful, with smiling, mischievous animals filling the pages.

The author has cleverly given this book an I Spy element. The reader is encouraged to find the worm in each illustration. I read this with my 3-year-old, and the worm was often too hard for him to find on his own, but we had a lot of fun “finding” the larger animals. The worm could be tricky to spot sometimes, especially when two snakes were brought into the mix; they kept confusing my son, and I’m still not sure if I found a worm or a snake on the last page.

For every two animals, there’s a couplet. For example: “Monty saw a monkey tickling the lion’s toes / Monty saw a zebra playing dominoes.” For the most part, there’s good cadence and rhythm, but some of the sentences disrupted the flow. This wasn’t too problematic though, since we were pausing between each animal to look closely at the illustrations. I only noticed this when I read it aloud to myself. The rhymes are strong rhymes, except for the two slant rhymes, “queen/cream” and “suit/boots.”

The language is simplistic; I think “chimpanzee,” “dominoes,” and “python” are the only words a younger preschooler might be unfamiliar with. The text is rich with verbs, and I found that very helpful since that’s something my son is working on in speech therapy. I would highly recommend this book to any parents who have children struggling with the same issue. Additionally, if you want a fun book that will introduce your child to a slew of animals doing silly things, you should check this out. Though Amazon says the book is for ages 1-18, I think 2-8 is the age range that would get the most out of this book.

There were a couple of grammatical errors, although at least one is more of a subjective error than an objective one. Regardless, I still highly enjoyed this book, as did my son. This is why I give Monty the Fish Goes to the Zoo four out of four stars, as well as the fun illustrations and the I Spy element.

Monty the fish goes to the zoo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds so cute, and I love that it is about a fish who is literally out of water--how clever! Thanks for the engaging review!
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I like how engaging the book is. I'm sure many parents will enjoy reading the book with their little ones, just like you did with your son. It will be a great bonding experience. Thanks for this beautiful review.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

This sounds like a great book to read with children. I spend time with my grandchildren reading and looking for objects in the story. It takes us a long time to read a simple story. Thanks for the review. This one looks like something that my grandchildren would love.
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

Seems like a great book to entertain toddlers. A great way to get them into reading and an early age and also introduce them to bigger words. I should like to pick this up for my nephew some time. Thanks for the recommendation :D
imashakavinda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by imashakavinda »

Monty the fish goes to the zoosounds like a great childish book.I'm sure that the children will enjoy this book lot,The fish is a iconic character in children world so I hope that the children are get into read this book
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

How interesting I am glad the author cane up with this book. Animals are always great tools for teaching children, as well as stimulating their imagination. Thanks for the great review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The I Spy element is an ingenious idea for this age. I also like how each new animal joins the group, thus making it a memory activity of trying to remember their order of affiliation! This books looks like fun! Thanks.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

This sounds like a great educational book for children. Thanks for an awesome review.

Return to “Children's Books”