Official Review: Captain's Bean Bottle by Holly Jessop

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KristyKhem
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 35
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 120
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Aurora and the Thief by Becky Bird

Official Review: Captain's Bean Bottle by Holly Jessop

Post by KristyKhem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Captain's Bean Bottle" by Holly Jessop.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Can you bottle happiness? The answer lies in Captain’s Bean Bottle by Holly Jessop. This children’s story is about a little boy named Captain. At the start of winter, he feels very sad because he misses his father who is away. His mother, Meacher, has the perfect solution to cheer up Captain. She gets a special glass bottle and a bag of happy beans. Captain doesn’t understand how this would make him happy again, but he soon realizes that whenever he does something good, Meacher places a bean in the bottle. Captain is delighted and begins to think of ways to earn more happy beans. Eventually, the bottle is full of happy beans and Captain learns to how to count them. What will Captain do with his many happy beans now?

I loved reading this story. I think it will teach children an important lesson – that we become happy by helping others. The story can also teach its young readers about gardening, emotions, and colors. This story is also a valuable resource for parents and teachers. Meacher is a preschool teacher. She resolves conflicts between the children and teaches them art and math skills. I think parents and teachers could implement the ‘happy beans’ activity in real life. It can make doing chores fun for youngsters. The other activities which Meacher used, such as mixing paints, and counting can also be adopted in real life.

I really liked how the author merged the seasons with colors. The story took place throughout an entire year. Each time the season changed, the characters in the story would create a new color to represent it. For example, when summertime came around, Captain and his dad mixed blue and yellow paint to make green paint, which they used to paint the pickets in the garden. I think this was a wonderful artistic addition to the story.

The illustrations in the book were lively and colorful. They reflected the emotions in the story. An animated style was used which would appeal to children. There were no errors in the story but there was one instance where the word ‘Mother’ was used instead of ‘Meacher’. Although it is known that she is Captain’s mother, she is always referred to as ‘Meacher’ in the narrative apart from this instance.

There was nothing that I disliked about this book. This is a wonderful story that will appeal to children, parents, and teachers. Although the story featured preschool students, I don’t think preschoolers would be able to read it themselves because of the lengthy paragraphs and the author’s choice of vocabulary, which may be difficult for them. However, I think they would enjoy listening to the story and looking at the pictures.

I am pleased to rate Captain’s Bean Bottle 4 out of 4 stars. It is educational and it’s a great resource for teachers and parents. Moreover, the illustrations are appealing and I appreciated that the author incorporated so many different aspects into the story such as art, gardening, emotions, and nature.

Captain's Bean Bottle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

spluficvictory
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

I totally agree with you on the lesson being passed across. I think parents and teachers could implement the ‘happy beans’ activity in real life. Thanks for sharing
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:

Dr D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dr-d.html
Latest Review: The Last Bush Pilots by Eric Auxier
Reading Device: B07QCCW5KB

Post by Dr D »

Yeah, folks. We truly need to learn and teach people the lesson of "happy beans".Ms.Holly is truly gifted, her creativity is admirable👍. I agree with Kristy on that last sentence. I really love to read diversified books.

Michelle Fred
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: A Pebble That Floats by Imelda Lahoz Argel

Post by Michelle Fred »

I like all the themes, I think the concept of 'Happy beans' is a great way to teach children to help others. The incorporation of art and emotion management is great as well. Overall, I think this is a fantastic children's book.

Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by Y0landa »

I think I can imagine that the beans were planted in the end since you've mentioned it teaches about gardening as well. :) This sounds like a fantastic children's book! It gathers good morals, gardening, colors, and a bit of maths. What a great approach to teaching kids while engaging them in this fun book! Nice review! Thank you!

CColony2019
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccolony2019.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by CColony2019 »

Until I started reading your review, I thought the title was Captain Bean’s Bottle. Thank you for clearing that up. I found your review interesting and will hopefully read it to my daughter one day. I’m hoping to help her into gardening. So this book would help.

ivana7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana7.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by ivana7 »

It's great when children's books are educational, especially in the area of ​​relationships with others. By reading this book, the child learns in a fun way what really matters and why it is important to help others. Judging by your review, the book is also appropriate for adults. Thank you for the great review!

Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Life and Love In The Adirondacks by Gary B. Youmans

Post by Miller56 »

I would love to have happiness bottled and be able to open it during sad times. I am also happy when I am helping others and I think it is a valuable lesson to teach our children. Giving is a blessing. Thanks for the review. This sounds like a great children's book that even adults can learn from.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 354
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Monster Hotel by Susan and Mark Kibbe

Post by kandscreeley »

I love this story. It sounds like a great book. Even more, though, it's a concept that could be implemented in real life. I need to start collecting happy beans. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

jeminah28
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 5
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 680
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1257
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeminah28.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by jeminah28 »

Wow! I love the concept of the 'happy beans'. Hmmm, I am thinking of doing it. Thanks!
"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."

missfrombliss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missfrombliss.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by missfrombliss »

I'm not into children's books but I really see the benefit of this book and how it can help teachers and parents to make kids do good deeds. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Children's Books”