Official Review: Fanny the Champ by Nalini Raghunandan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Fanny the Champ by Nalini Raghunandan

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fanny the Champ" by Nalini Raghunandan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's amazing how much one simple decision can change the future. That's not really something I'd say about many children's books, but Fanny the Champ by Nalini Raghunandan is an exception.

Fanny the Champ is the first in a series of books about a very good dog named Fanny. A long time ago, Mr. Ed found Fanny as a scared little puppy. He took him in and he's been a part of his family ever since! The book introduces readers to Fanny and the fishing town that he lives in before revealing how he earned the nickname "Fanny the Champ."

The first thing I noticed about Fanny the Champ was the artwork. The landscapes and characters are captured very well, and enough different locations are used to really make it feel like a busy, friendly town. So many children's books reuse the same backgrounds, but Fanny the Champ shows readers the beach, fishmongers selling their catches, the woods, Mr. Ed's home, and more. The art quality is great, and Fanny is especially terrific on each page.

The story is lovely too, and the writing is perfectly edited. Fanny loves to eat fish, greet the townsfolk, and travel through the town with Mr. Ed. Fanny the Champ also shows off how great a "simpler," more active life in the outdoors can be. I could practically feel the sea breeze on my face while I was reading! The book also teaches an important lesson about the danger of going out into the water alone and just how quickly fun can turn into tragedy.

I really liked Fanny the Champ. It reminded me of how wonderful the beach was but also worked as a reminder to be careful, especially if you bring young children along with you. Parents who are looking to take their kids to the beach, families who live near a beach, and kids who love dogs will get a kick out of Fanny's adventures. My rating of the book is 4 out of 4 stars.

Fanny the Champ
View: on Bookshelves
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I like a diverse background. A lot of children's books have the same one. It sounds like a great book for children. Thank you for the review!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a fun read for children with some great illustrations and artwork. Thanks for the review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I love how the artwork in the book changes from page to page. I can agree; not too many children's books are able to change this element easily. Thanks for an honest review!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

Return to “Children's Books”