Official Review: Chubby Wubbles by Myron Abrams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Chubby Wubbles by Myron Abrams

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chubby Wubbles" by Myron Abrams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ever since I saw Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time as a kid, I've thought ferrets were awesome. They're sneaky little thieves in the movie, but their cute, long, furry bodies caught my attention too. They look like a cross between squirrels and raccoons!

Chubby Wubbles: A Ferret's Tale by Myron Abrams is a children's picture book about two playful ferrets: Chubby and Coco. Chubby and Coco are best friends, but one day Coco disappears, leaving Chubby lonely and sad. Mark, who owns the two ferrets, decides that he doesn't have enough time to give Chubby the love he deserves, so he gifts him to his brother Jeffrey. Jeffrey loves Chubby and the two have a great time together, but Chubby still really misses Coco. One day, when Jeffrey takes the trash out, Chubby runs away to the nearby park to look for Coco. Will he find her, and will Jeffrey find Chubby?

Chubby Wubbles: A Ferret's Tale is an adorable book full of illustrations and photographs. The story is short and sweet, yet still written well enough that it had this adult man nervous about Coco and Chubby! The illustrations and photographs are excellent, and both mediums capture the adorable, emotive ferrets along with the people who love them.

I liked that the book sneaks a few little bits of information about ferrets into the story. It's far from enough to know how to care for a ferret, but it's a start. The photographs also manage to show things like Chubby's enclosure and "tunnel tubes." Then there's the main lesson: be careful with open doors when animals are inside! If seeing just how quickly Chubby runs outside isn't enough to teach that lesson, I don't know what will be.

I really enjoyed the book. The PDF version I reviewed had large images and the font was easy to read at a distance. I only found one minor grammatical error, and the rest of the writing was perfectly smooth. My rating of Chubby Wubbles: A Ferret's Tale is 4 out of 4 stars. I'd recommend it to anyone who has ferrets as well as anyone looking to get a pet who wants something less typical than a cat or dog and more lovable than fish. It's also great for animal lovers in general. The vocabulary used is basic, so it would function as an early reader book or a story to read together with a child. There are at least a few sentences on each page, making it longer than many picture books, but it's still short enough to easily read in one sitting.

Chubby Wubbles
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This seems like such a cute story! Thank you very much for your beautiful review.
rainbow+flower
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by rainbow+flower »

It looks like a cute story for toddlers
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

This seems like a good book to read with my son. My daughter would love it too as she is extremely fond of pets. Thank you for a wonderful and detailed review.
Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Y0landa »

Definately sounds like a great book for kids. Seems like the author has made quite an accomplishment in writing this fun story as he's even able to engage adults. Nice review! Thanks!
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

I had a really bad experience with a ferret in my high school days and I have never liked them since. I am wondering if I would read this book if I would learn to like them a little more. The story sounds like it is a happy story with some sad undertones. I am sure children would like this book as it has plenty of pictures and a fun story.
Mbalewechinonso
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbalewechinonso.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Mbalewechinonso »

Good book for children. Exciting story of bond between man and animals.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

The cover of this book is adorable! The story sounds very cute and something that little kids will enjoy. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Children's Books”