Official Review: Dragonwatch: Master of the Phantom Isle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Official Review: Dragonwatch: Master of the Phantom Isle

Post by Kendra M Parker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dragonwatch: Master of the Phantom Isle" by Brandon Mull.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dragonwatch: Master of the Phantom Isle by Brandon Mull is the third book in his Dragonwatch series. Having not read any of his other books in the series previously, I initially found it difficult to get into the novel. Mull spends very little time introducing his characters, assuming that readers have read other books in the series. While this keeps fans of the series from getting bogged down in rehashing events of other books, it did initially make it somewhat difficult to get involved with these characters. Still, persevering through the first couple of chapters rewarded me with an amazing tale.

Mull kicks off Master of the Phantom Isle with Seth, a teenage boy who sacrificed his memories to save the world. As a shadow charmer, he has allied himself with Ronodin, a dark unicorn that seems to be one of the few people who understand Seth and his dark powers. Seth’s sister, Kendra, wants nothing more than to find her missing brother and help him regain his memories. As they search for Seth, Kendra and her friends must help the Crescent Lagoon dragon sanctuary restore the magic that protects its borders. In the process, they hope to find information that will lead them to Seth and allow them to rescue him.

I absolutely loved this book. Mull clearly has established his world very well, and he develops his characters just as thoroughly. The swift pace of the novel made it easy to read. Using clever dialog, Mull keeps building momentum until the climax of the book. Clear, engaging imagery allows the readers to immerse themselves in the adventure.

While this novel primarily targets the middle grade reader, I can certainly attest to this book being equally engaging to an adult reader. Muir’s language choices are very appropriate to the middle grade reader level. Clean story lines and clear plots make this a book that an entire family could enjoy together. On top of that, impeccable editing meant that I could really sit back and enjoy this novel thoroughly.

Because of his incredible world building, engaging characters, and faultless editing, I give Master of the Phantom Isle 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend this book to readers that enjoy a fast-paced middle grade fantasy novel. It reminds me a bit of the Percy Jackson series in the way that it is written in an episodic manner for young people to enjoy. Readers that have already enjoyed one of Mull’s books are sure to love this latest addition to this series. Unless you enjoy being dumped into the middle of the story, I would recommend reading the first books in this series before diving into this one. Readers should be able to figure out what’s going on pretty easily, but I do think that reading the other books would further enhance a reader’s enjoyment.

Dragonwatch: Master of the Phantom Isle
View: on Bookshelves
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I recognised the author from his Fablehaven series, so I was surprised to learn that he had another one out. This seems exactly in line with what I expect from him and just as exciting too. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say young readers would definitely enjoy the bit about helping the dragon sanctuary as well as the Kendra goes on to find Seth. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

We all are children at heart most of us anyway. I love the main theme and the plot sounds intriguing. Thanks for an inspiring review. I will definitely be giving this book a go.
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

Wow. From the author of FableHaven series, Dragon Watch is another wonderful and intriguing book. One of my favorite series so far. Impeccable editing is one of the many reasons I love reading his books. Thanks for the review 👍
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This looks like a fascinating series for followers of the Fablehaven series. I appreciated your comments about the slow start since this is not the first book of the series. Thanks for your insights about this book.
Bhalimat
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Bhalimat »

This book is really enticing for the fact that it embedded with lots of inspiration. I appreciate the author for this. author of FableHaven series, which state that Dragon Watch is another wonderful and intriguing book is an impediment to this book
Bhalimat
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Bhalimat »

The line of the story is timid, it should be broad for more explanation though the writer is super good but more should be added

Return to “Children's Books”