Official Review: Readmore Elementary

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 106
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 68
2017 Reading Goal: 150
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 61
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 900
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: iSpeakDogg by Dominic Tolson

Official Review: Readmore Elementary

Post by CataclysmicKnight » 19 Sep 2019, 19:26

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Readmore Elementary" by Portia McGowan Green.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I'll admit it: I love school supplies. I can't get enough fancy binders, pens, and note cards. So when I saw a children's book about a school where there were living school supplies, I desperately needed to check it out!

Readmore Elementary by Portia McGowan Green tells the story of Penny Pencil returning to school for her first day of fourth grade. You may have guessed from her name that Penny Pencil is an animate pencil, and you'd be right! She meets up with Sherry Sharpener, her best friend, and the two go through various classes before learning who the new school librarian is.

I really liked that Readmore Elementary puts a positive spin on school. As Penny and Sherry go from class to class, Penny points out the good things she experiences. Science class teaches her how the world works, and her homeroom teacher "made learning fun and let us be the characters in each of our classroom stories." Sure they ended up with some homework, and Penny doesn't seem to be a fan of math, but there's still a positive feeling overall about going to school. And this positivity about school is reinforced by Penny being a fourth-grader. After all, if a fourth-grader could still be happy about school, then maybe a child going to their first day of school won't be such a bad thing after all!

The artwork in the book leaves something to be desired. Images of individual characters appear between paragraphs, typically as they're first introduced, but they could all use some polish. Sherry Sharpener has white gaps between her hair and the top of her sharpener head, and the bigger sharpener hole actually goes over one of the sides a bit. Ms. Clinda Clip's paperclip body would've been rejected from the paperclip factory in a heartbeat. Even Lady Bookmore, the book "woman" on the cover, has major issues. Speaking of Lady Bookmore, that exact image is used three times throughout the book (not including the cover), and she's holding the same book in each. Also, it's weird that some of the animate school supplies have human heads where others don't. To complicate things even further, some teachers appear fully human!

The casual tone in the book is easy to use for reading aloud. The book breezes by just as quickly as Penny's first day back at school, making it a quick read. There's also the inclusion of discussion regarding the magic of books and imagination. While I really wish that Portia had hired a professional artist, and I found four grammatical errors, my rating of Readmore Elementary is 3 out of 4 stars. I would've given it 2.5 stars if I could have, but the implied encouragement to enjoy school led me to round the score up.

Readmore Elementary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 188
Currently Reading: The Wrath of Isis
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 07 Oct 2019, 21:22

This seems like a unique way to show children the positive side of school and perhaps even some of the 'fun' to be had there. I love that the author presents each class and how Penny found something she liked about each of them (except maybe math). I enjoyed reading your review!

Return to “Children's Books”