Official Review: Mama's Daycare by Ngozi Edema

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Mama's Daycare by Ngozi Edema

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mama's Daycare" by Ngozi Edema.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most children look forward to their first day of kindergarten and little Nene is no exception. As she counts down the days, one question comes to mind: What will become of her mother? After all, until now, she's been spending most of her time taking care of Nene. Nene decides the best solution is to send her mother to Mama's Daycare, located just across from the kindergarten. There, her mother can read in peace, get a massage, gym, and do other exciting things to pass the time.

Mama's Daycare is a children's book by Ngozi Edema. Edema is a stay-at-home mom, writer, and entrepreneur. The book is 24 pages long and includes colorful illustrations. It's told from Nene's point of view and follows her story as she gets ready for kindergarten. The book is suitable for elementary readers and children who are getting comfortable reading longer books.

I thoroughly enjoyed Mama's Daycare. I was blown away by the quality of the illustrations in the book. The illustrations are not only eye-catching but are also appropriate for the events of the story. They provide a clear picture of how Nene, her mother, and their surroundings look.

It's quite clear that Nene and her mother have a close relationship and both care about each other. I could relate to this because I have a close relationship with my mother. In fact, I found the entire concept of the book endearing. This is because it emphasizes the importance of children also caring about their parents. However, Nene's father is never mentioned in the book, and the author offers no explanation for his absence. Nonetheless, the book didn't feel incomplete because of this.

There is nothing I disliked about this book. It is well-formatted and edited. I only noticed a single error, where a word was incorrectly capitalized. Otherwise, I have no reason not to give Mama's Daycare the perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend it for children between the ages of four and ten.

Mama's Daycare
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

What a cute idea for a story! I also love that the book focuses on children caring about their parents. How sweet! Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

If only there really was something called Mama's daycare. I know many mothers would love that! Nevertheless, it sounds like a fabulous story. I'm so glad that the illustrations are quality. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

This sounds like a cute book! I'd love to see the illustrations you describe. Also I wish their was a mama's daycare in real life. I would enjoy someone taking care of me from time to time.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I love the idea the author has come up with for this story. How original! The illustrations are a nice, positive element as well. Thanks for this excellent review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Now I want to find a "Mama's Daycare" to attend! This is such a cute idea and a lovely sentiment for a children's book. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

What a sweet idea. This sounds like a great book.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Nene is a very caring little girl. She wants to be sure that her Mom is safe and well while she is at school. This book could bring about good conversations with parents. Thanks for the review!
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

This sounds like a really interesting story, and considering it's packed with illustrations, it's an added plus! Thank you for an amazing review!
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

It is said whenever books fail to mention the fathers. I believe it is often seen as the mothers should in charge of the children's education, and that is simply not true.
This looks like a very cute book to read with the little ones.
Great review!
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Rachel Lea wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 17:07 What a cute idea for a story! I also love that the book focuses on children caring about their parents. How sweet! Thanks for your review!
Quite cute indeed. And yes, kids should learn from a young age of the importance of caring about their parents. Thanks for stopping by! :D
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

kandscreeley wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 19:21 If only there really was something called Mama's daycare. I know many mothers would love that! Nevertheless, it sounds like a fabulous story. I'm so glad that the illustrations are quality. Thanks!
I'm not a mother yet but I bet mine would appreciate a Mama's Daycare too! I had a great time with this book. Thank you. :mrgreen2:
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Helene_2008 wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 21:06 This sounds like a cute book! I'd love to see the illustrations you describe. Also I wish their was a mama's daycare in real life. I would enjoy someone taking care of me from time to time.
It is beyond adorable and I hope you get to check it out to see the illustrations. I bet many mothers would agree with you. :lol2:
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Meg98 wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 21:17 I love the idea the author has come up with for this story. How original! The illustrations are a nice, positive element as well. Thanks for this excellent review! Cheers:)
I agree that it's quite original. The illustrations were indeed of a high standard, in contrast to many other children's books. Thanks for the kind words. :D
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Kelyn wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 21:40 Now I want to find a "Mama's Daycare" to attend! This is such a cute idea and a lovely sentiment for a children's book. Thanks for the wonderful review!
:lol2: I think many mothers are with you on that one! Thanks for your sweet comment.

Return to “Children's Books”