Official Review: Muddysocks finds her feet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Official Review: Muddysocks finds her feet

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Muddysocks finds her feet" by Deirdre Cichosz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Muddysocks Finds Her Feet by Deirdre Cichosz is a charming little book for children. It tells the story of Muddysocks, a doll who not surprisingly, is made from a rather muddy sock. Muddysocks is unhappy because she doesn’t know what she’s going to be when she grows up. Fortunately, Threads, another sock doll turns up and together they explore some potential careers.

I liked this book very much. The illustrations are actual photos of the dolls while the background has been cleverly enhanced with paints to add a fairytale feel. It strongly encourages children to use their imagination and creativity as well as to be the best person they can be. I enjoyed the way that Threads mowed down gender stereotypes by suggesting that he and Muddysocks could be engineers, dancers and astronauts, along with other suggestions.

The photos also contain props made mainly from cardboard boxes. Among other things, these include a garage, spaceships and a fire engine. At the end of the story, there are instructions as to how the child could make these props for themselves. In addition, there are instructions on how to be a kind and happy person and most importantly, to be yourself.

My favourite picture in the book is where Threads and Muddysocks don legwarmers, have a go at dancing, fall over and Threads stands on his head. My main criticism is that the book is let down by the punctuation and grammar. Many of the commas that should come after speech and before ‘he/she said’ are missing. Once, speech from different characters was separated by a comma instead of a full stop. My other criticism is that I got completely lost on step two of the raft making, resulting in the coast guard having to be called.

Altogether, I love this book for its charm, its creativity and its positive message. With a bit of editing the book would be perfect. As it stands, I’m awarding it 3 out of 4 stars.

Muddysocks finds her feet
View: on Bookshelves
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

This sounds like one of those books that would interest any kid since actual photos were used for illustrations. Thank you for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I dislike children's books that aren't edited. Nevertheless, I love the theme of it. I hope they find some good careers! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mackenzie clayton
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mackenzie clayton »

Over all i think my kid will like this book exspecially because if the kid wants to be creative it talks bout paintings and enhances creativity.

Return to “Children's Books”