Official Review: Halloween At Lukes by Priya Pasumarthy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Official Review: Halloween At Lukes by Priya Pasumarthy

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Halloween At Lukes" by Priya Pasumarthy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Halloween At Luke’s by Priya Pasumarthy is a delightful tale that takes place on Halloween. Every year at this time, the Luke family decorate their home on Arrow Street with pumpkins, skeletons, and spooky witches. This year the theme is, “Togetherness is Happiness!” Will this Halloween turn out to be as great as they hope? Will they get lots of guests and trick-or-treaters? You have to read this book to find out!

The vivid cover of this book is beautiful and paints a classic picture of Halloween for prospective readers. The full moon shines brightly against a black background, adding depth and mystery. The images bring to mind the sounds and smell of Halloween Night.

I loved that this book is dedicated to all the children around the world. It welcomes children to the book and sets a mood of expectation that is sure to please readers. I thought it was great that this story begins at a house on Arrow Street, but the ultimate destination is Hemway Street where the Halloween festivities will begin after dusk. It adds elements of suspense and expectation that suit the overall theme.

For such a short story, the character development is excellent. The conversations between Tom and Lyda showed their happiness and excitement about being together with friends. It was easy to get caught up in the spirit of the holiday.

The digital-art illustrations enhance the story and add a glow to the holiday feel of the book. The house and yard, decorated for Halloween, give off the perfect mix of mystique and spooky fun that kids love. I did notice that the sign on the door of the Luke’s house had a typed quality. It made it seem like it did not belong with the rest of the artwork in the illustration. I felt that there was room for improvement in that small detail.

I have to admit that Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. The decorations, trick-or-treating, and games make that evening one of the best of the year. Children everywhere look forward to the fun in store for them when the first leaves of Autumn begin to fall. That said, what I liked most about this book is the overall message that togetherness is happiness. I feel it will resonate with kids, and teach a valuable lesson about friendship.

The story is told in a writing style that uses repetition. As each character comes to the house and knocks on the door, the same words and phrases are used. This method is excellent for teaching very young children to read, and that unique quality of this book makes it a useful teaching aid.

I think this book will appeal the most to kids between the ages of two and seven, but older children will be able to enjoy it as well. I recommend this book to children nearing the age of pre-school. It would also be useful for elementary and pre-school teachers to use as an aid in the classroom. With its simplicity, colorful illustrations, and happy theme, it can’t fail to add joy and learning to a child’s life!

It is evident that this author put a lot of thought into this work, and it seems professionally edited. Although I did find errors, most of them were minor and did not affect the flow of the book. I found it to be a wonderful beginner’s book for young readers. For these reasons, I am rating it with 4 out of 4 stars! If you are looking for a story suited to children of a higher reading level, this may not be the book for you.

Halloween At Lukes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Looks like a cute book for kids, especially with Hallowe'en right around the corner! Thanks for the lovely review!
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

Sounds like an interesting kids book. Thank you for the insightful review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

What a cute book! I do hope that they have a great Halloween! I don't have children, but it's one I would enjoy myself for a simple read. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 11:23 Looks like a cute book for kids, especially with Hallowe'en right around the corner! Thanks for the lovely review!
I thought the same thing! This book is well-timed for the upcoming season! Thanks for the nice comment!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

OuKoyoo wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 14:45 Sounds like an interesting kids book. Thank you for the insightful review.
Thank you for commenting!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 19:49 What a cute book! I do hope that they have a great Halloween! I don't have children, but it's one I would enjoy myself for a simple read. Thanks!
I thought it was a cute book too, and it's true that kid's books aren't just for kids. Thanks for the great comments!
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I love Halloween also! I would love to get this book to read to my daughter.
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

This book sounds great, my sister loves all things halloween, I will have to tell her about this. Thanks for the review :D

Return to “Children's Books”