Official Review: Sara and the Valley of Eagles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: Sara and the Valley of Eagles

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sara and the Valley of Eagles" by Dan Martin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sara and the Valley of Eagles is a children's book by Dan Martin. This imaginative adventure book is set in 1588. We follow the exploits of a daring young village girl who lives in the meadows, deep in the mountains of Wales.

When Govan - a village elder who is so old that no one knows how old he truly is - feels that his time is fast approaching, he decides it's time to pass on the story of their humble village's origins. Through his tale, Sara learns that the meadows they now live in once belonged to giant eagles. After losing a challenge to the humans, the eagles had vowed to leave the meadows and relocate to the mountains. However, they had warned that if any human ever entered their sacred mountains they would return and destroy the village. Headstrong Sara decides to search for the legendary eagles and befriend them. To her surprise, when she finally finds the eagles, she discovers that they are still sorely bitter and vengeful, and that she has just given them ammunition to wage war against her people. She also learns that the eagles have been starving since leaving the meadows. Sara must find a way to prevent the impending war and help the eagles who are slowly dying out.

Sara and the Valley of Eagles will appeal to preteens who have a keen sense of adventure and a huge imagination. I loved that aside from being immensely entertaining, it also carries lessons for the intended audience. For example, whenever Sara find herself in a pickle, she reminds herself to calm down and thinks through her options logically, always employing common sense. The biggest lesson that the book imparts is that our actions have consequences and that we have to take responsibility for those actions. Sara who starts off having little regard for how her decisions affect others, comes to learn to discern between wrong and right. The book introduces the concept of there being grey areas in decision making and weighing between decisions that aren’t clean cut. And so, I believe this book offers potential for growth to preteens who read it.

As a historical fiction fan, I loved that it includes and grew upon actual historical facts and events. On one of Sara's adventures, we get to meet Queen Elizabeth I and to witness up close the battle between the English fleets and the Spanish Armada.

I honestly cannot find a reason to deny it a perfect rating. It was well edited, had enjoyable content with substance and will definitely appeal to its intended audience. Thus, I rate Sara and the Valley of Eagles 4 out of 4 stars.

Sara and the Valley of Eagles
View: on Bookshelves
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not sure this is my cup of tea, but it sounds adventurous. I like that Sara realizes there are consequences to her decisions. That's something many teens need to learn. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This looks like a story that would help preteens grow in their decision-making abilities. I think the use of eagles will also evoke feelings of freedom in the young readers. I appreciate your including the historical references. Great review.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

Your review is so beautifully written; I can only marvel at it. I really liked the sound of the book too. It seems there's a lot to learn from your review and the book alike. :D
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

kdstrack wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 19:54 This looks like a story that would help preteens grow in their decision-making abilities. I think the use of eagles will also evoke feelings of freedom in the young readers. I appreciate your including the historical references. Great review.
I like your observation.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

A great review. I love the plot of the story. Itis a good children's book. All about adventures. A fum bookto read
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

Sounds like a good read, thanks for the review :D
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I've greatly enjoyed Martin's other 2 books (albeit adult titles), but I'll have to check this one out as well. Sounds really fascinating!

Return to “Children's Books”