Official Review: Sam’s Missing Piece

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Official Review: Sam’s Missing Piece

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sam’s Missing Piece" by Demetria Poole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How many of us know a child who doesn’t have a father in their life? I know quite a few. That’s why Sam’s Missing Piece by Demetria Poole caught my attention. Like all children, Sam wants a mother and a father. He has questions about why he doesn’t have a father. This book deals with how Sam feels about this missing puzzle piece in his life.

The story begins with Sam’s first day of school. Everything is going great until an assembly is called for all the boys and their fathers. Sam has to sit alone because he doesn’t have a dad. On the school bus later, he starts thinking about the perks of having a father. At home, Sam has some questions for his mom. Will Sam find the answers he seeks?

I loved that the cover design of this book is done in the form of a puzzle. It depicts Sam with the father he imagines. The missing puzzle piece where the father’s face would be sends the message of the story. The bright colors and happy children playing in the background create an attractive image that will appeal to kids. The typography of the wonderfully simple title enhances the book.

I liked the way this book was illustrated. Each page features Sam and his mother in various conversations and situations. The vivid and colorful surroundings of school and home will resonate with readers. The way Sam’s thoughts are expressed demonstrates the process of how he learns to deal with not having a dad.

What I liked most about this book was the sincerity in this author’s work. I found it heartbreaking and comforting at the same time when Sam’s mother talked to him about his emotions. This sincerity was apparent when Sam’s mom said to him, “Don’t let not having a father present dim your bright light. You continue to be the awesome Sam I love so much.” I felt that it was what any single parent would say.

I was impressed by the character development in this book. The close relationship between Sam and his mother added depth to the story. The evident love and affection expressed by Sam’s mother indicate how single parents can feel. They love their child, but they can’t provide that missing piece in their life. All they can do is be the reliable support which that child needs. As a reader, I felt empathy for both of the main characters in this story.

The writing style is simple and straightforward in this book. I enjoyed the way Sam’s thoughts are expressed as part of the illustrations in a comic-book style. It allows the reader a glimpse inside Sam’s thoughts and accurately communicates the way kids think and feel about the broader issues in life.

This book will appeal the most to school-age children who are part of a single-parent family. It will also appeal to kids who know someone who only has one parent. The positive message about being the awesome person that you are will have an impact on readers.

I could find nothing to dislike about this book. Although the subject matter is serious, it is presented thoughtfully. The overall message of positive reinforcement is one that I believe kids will enjoy. It also seems to be professionally edited. For these reasons, I am rating this book with 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to school-age children, as well as those who are older. I also recommend it to single parents with children who need help in understanding their situation. If subjects like single-parenting don’t appeal to you, this may not be the book for you.

Sam’s Missing Piece
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
ChainsawCat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chainsawcat.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ChainsawCat »

I'm curious why on earth there would be an assembly on the first day of school for all the boys and their fathers. Does it seem contrived in the context of the book?
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I agree with the commentator above about a school assembly for kids and their dads. It seems insensitive in a realistic sense. Either way, a great review and I'm glad you enjoyed the book :) Although, I doubt the emotional depth and deep relationships are something children would resonate with.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Poor Sam. I can only imagine how he feels. I know there are too many kids in his place, so it's great that the author wrote this. I hope it helps others out there. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Such a good idea that the author had to write this book. It could help a number of children. Thanks for the review.
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

Hopefully this book could help children from single-parent families. This can be so difficult for children to deal with and it would be useful for parents to have a resource like this to help them explain. Great review!
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

ChainsawCat wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 09:41 I'm curious why on earth there would be an assembly on the first day of school for all the boys and their fathers. Does it seem contrived in the context of the book?
Good question. It does seem odd that an assembly (in particular, one that would only be for boys and their dads) to be held on the first day of school. In that sense, it could be viewed as a bit contrived. Thanks for your comment!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Fuzaila wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 11:40 I agree with the commentator above about a school assembly for kids and their dads. It seems insensitive in a realistic sense. Either way, a great review and I'm glad you enjoyed the book :) Although, I doubt the emotional depth and deep relationships are something children would resonate with.
The author came from a single-parent home, as well as raising children as a single parent, so I'm guessing that some of the situations in the book are based on personal experiences. These days, so many kids live in this situation, maybe the book will show a few that they aren't alone in their situation. Thank you so much for your comments!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

kandscreeley wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 12:36 Poor Sam. I can only imagine how he feels. I know there are too many kids in his place, so it's great that the author wrote this. I hope it helps others out there. Thanks!
I agree it happens too often. Thank you for your comments!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Magnify3 wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 13:03 Such a good idea that the author had to write this book. It could help a number of children. Thanks for the review.
That's true, thanks for your comments!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

danielleamy wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 15:55 Hopefully this book could help children from single-parent families. This can be so difficult for children to deal with and it would be useful for parents to have a resource like this to help them explain. Great review!
That is so true. Thanks for your comments!
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

Loved the book and the review!
Chiemere Jackson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chiemere Jackson »

I think you did an excellent job with this review. Secondly I would like to say I also grew up in a single parent home and I wish I had this book growing up as a child. I didn’t have the courage to question my mom about the whereabouts of my father. I think the author is giving children like me a voice who may be scared to speak up or don’t know how to speak on what they may be feeling. I purchased copies for 2 of my friends kids who don’t have fathers present in their lives.

Return to “Children's Books”