Official Review: The Legend of the Putter Frog of Frogmor...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: The Legend of the Putter Frog of Frogmor...

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Legend of the Putter Frog of Frogmore, SC" by Randy Bazemore.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Legend of Putter the Frog of Frogmore, SC by author Randy Bazemore is a wonderful tale about a tadpole that grows up in a pond on a golf course. From a young age, he watches players take swings sending their white golf balls zinging through the air with some landing right in the frog's home. This fascinates him, and he ends up pursuing the idea by fashioning together his own club with a stick and using a berry as a golf ball.

What I enjoyed the most about this story was that it sends the message to young audiences that whatever you wish to do in life, you can. The main character finds something he enjoys and creates a way to make it happen. He is cheered on by his siblings and is assisted by a fly named Freddie who shows up to be his caddie. This helper really should be his nemesis and his next lunch, but they become fast friends working side by side in unity.

In addition, the frog is an obedient role model. He does his chores and homework first, and then he goes out to play on his makeshift golf course. When his parents call him in for dinner, he follows their request even though he wants to stay outside and play longer. It was so impressive to discover that there was no conflict in the plot at all. Usually, books of this nature have a bully present or some big dramatic dilemma to overcome. This book demonstrates that a dream can be fulfilled without a struggle or a tension-filled atmosphere. In one part, there is a slight mention of Putter not becoming a banker or a doctor, but it doesn't become a significant issue. I liked that it was given a slight nod of attention, and then it was dismissed as he grew into his chosen career.

There wasn't anything about this book that I didn't like. The illustrations are spectacular, and there are no errors in spelling, punctuation or grammar, so it is quite apparent that this has been professionally edited.

It is with much joy that I give this book 4 out of 4 stars for its positive approach in teaching young ones about having a good work ethic and honoring one's authority figures. This one would be a perfect fit for adults to read to preschoolers who have not mastered reading on their own yet, but it would also be appropriate for kids who can read independently in early elementary grades.

The Legend of the Putter Frog of Frogmore, SC
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Everything happens for a reason...
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I like the lessons taught by the book; I think the frog's obedience and work ethic would be especially useful for children if emulated. Also, his parents allowing him choose his preferred career is something a parent can use as well. Thanks for your review.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I would definitely add this into my classrooms reading list! Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
AlexandraA16
Currently Reading: The Queen of Xana
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandraa16.html
Latest Review: Invent, Innovate & Prosper by Michael G. Colburn

Post by AlexandraA16 »

I really like what you said about the banker or doctor thing. Maybe the point is you can have a great life by your own merits, following what you desire rather than what society thinks is a great job. Very cool. Thank you.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

So many times in children's books, the characters are always disobeying in some way or another (and getting away with it). I'm glad that's not the case here. It also teaches kids an important lesson. All in all, it sounds great for that age group. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Jul 2019, 08:23 So many times in children's books, the characters are always disobeying in some way or another (and getting away with it). I'm glad that's not the case here. It also teaches kids an important lesson. All in all, it sounds great for that age group. Thanks!
Thank you for reading my review. This book was so refreshing in that it didn't have anyone 'naughty' in it! :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

AlexandraA16 wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 21:46 I really like what you said about the banker or doctor thing. Maybe the point is you can have a great life by your own merits, following what you desire rather than what society thinks is a great job. Very cool. Thank you.
I love that this author focused on the positives of letting people decide what direction their life can take even if it isn't the 'normal route'. Thank you for reading my review. I appreciate it!
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Letora wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 10:23 I would definitely add this into my classrooms reading list! Thank you for your review!
Thank you so much for reading my review. I think the kids would love it, and I am sure the author would be highly grateful! :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Michelle Fred wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 03:59 I like the lessons taught by the book; I think the frog's obedience and work ethic would be especially useful for children if emulated. Also, his parents allowing him choose his preferred career is something a parent can use as well. Thanks for your review.
I loved the way this author sent good messages not only to the kids but to the adults who would be reading this book. It's such a good one! Thank you for reading my review. I appreciate it! :)
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

A friendship between a frog and a fly sounds like a heartwarming story. I also enjoyed your description of the frog's attitude and personality. All in all, a great read for younger audiences. Wonderful review!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I really like the storyline 😊 The tadpole found something that it liked to do and family members cheered him on. It is also a lesson in supporting dreams. Great job with the review!
Tonilduke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Tonilduke »

What a feel-good story! For what age group is this book recommended, if noted? I enjoyed your review of the various implied lessons contained in the story. I would like to recommend this book to my Facebook group of teachers for reading to their classes. Excellent review...thank you!👍
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Awww. This could be rewritten for a really nice animation. I can already imagine seeing it on the screens.
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

I will have to get this for my classroom, thanks for the review :D

Return to “Children's Books”