Official Review: I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Official Review: I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON...

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON'T FLUSH!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I’m Swimming In The Toilet... Please Don’t Flush! by Len Foley is an illustrated children’s book. It follows the adventures of a frog who decides to avoid the baking sun by going into a house and taking a dip in the toilet. This is a cautionary tale which illustrates what can happen when a multitude of danger signs are ignored.

As a self-confessed fan of Len Foley’s books, I was delighted to pounce on this opportunity to review yet another. His stories are irreverent, entertaining, completely off the wall and often include a large splash of toilet humour. They make me laugh out loud.

While the main plot is described in verse, there is yet more story in the illustrations. In fact, there is so much going on that you are unlikely to spot all of the visual jokes at the first reading. The pictures are a clever combination of cartoons superimposed over actual photos and they work remarkably well. The frog merrily hops past barrier tape and a plethora of different danger signs; all of which are funny in their own way. There are other characters included in the adventure. A dog is performing a cleaning service and for some bizarre reason, a peanut is acting as a lifeguard. There is a nod to a previous book when a snorkelling potato turns up and what I particularly like about the shoe is that its tongue is hanging out.

My only twinge of doubt was a personal one in that I have a horror at the thought of small animals being flushed down the toilet. However, that's just a personal thing and the frog was certainly given plenty of warning.

I love this book as I have loved the previous two. It is professionally edited and the pictures are glossy, lively and colourful. It will appeal to young children who enjoy a bit of toilet humour. It will also be equally entertaining for the adult who is reading it with them. I can’t find fault and am delighted to award this 4 out of 4 stars.

I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON'T FLUSH!
View: on Bookshelves
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I can't wait to read this one! Like you, I am a huge Len Foley fan. I love his humor and the illustrations are hilarious! Thank you for this great review!
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Len Foley is really amazing. Amazing writer for kids. Thanks for your great review, Helen. :tiphat:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You know, I should have guessed this was Len Foley book just from the title. It sounds like one of his. For that reason, I know it'll be great, and I'll probably end up reading sometime. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

This sounds like a great book to read to my daughter! I'm always trying to find fun stories with a good lesson. Thanks for the review.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

What a title! I don't know if I should be glad that the tile is for a children's book. Thanks for your wonderful review.
enousen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enousen.html
Latest Review: I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON'T FLUSH! by Len Foley

Post by enousen »

I also enjoyed the minor characters, especially the peanut lifeguard! It's interesting to hear that some of the other characters were references to his other stories.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A children’s book following the adventures of a frog who wants to go for a swim sounds sweet. It is funny that he decided to swim in the toilet from all places. Great illustrations add greatly to a kids' book and are a story in themselves. That it was professionally edited is another plus. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an incredibly hilarious children's book full of great illustrations and following the adventures of a frog who likes to swim in the toilet. The book is temporarily free and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats @LenFoley on the BOTD selection.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

Wow this sounds like an amazing read. Even while reading the review I was enjoying the ideas in the story. I surely will read this. Amazing review as well. Thank you
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This sounds like fun. I’m pretty sure kids will enjoy this especially the illustrations. Thanks for your review!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

One needs to slow down and look at all the visual humor in the illustrations. I like (as you pointed out) that the shoe has its tongue hanging out and that there is a snorkeling potato. I think that the author's illustrations are very cute and colorful and the rhyming story fits perfectly.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

The title alone will grab a child's attention. This sounds like it would make children laugh while learning at the same time. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
supraja_prasad
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supraja-prasad.html
Latest Review: Doppelgänger by Marc J. Seifer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by supraja_prasad »

Now, I know what I am going to gift my nephew this Christmas/ New year! Nevermind the frog, I want to know how a peanut of all things fares as a lifeguard... If the illustrations are as great as you described, he'd pounce on it!

Thanks for the review. It may just be the perfect gift idea yet.
Books may well be the only true magic.
~Alice Hoffman
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Len Foley's children's books always seem fun, and I think that it'll definitely make children laugh out loud, especially when the frog goes on an adventure(?) Thanks for the review!

Return to “Children's Books”