Official Review: Candma Goes to Heaven by Monica Burch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: Candma Goes to Heaven by Monica Burch

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Candma Goes to Heaven" by Monica Burch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Candma Goes to Heaven by Monica Burch is a spiritual children’s book that teaches kids about death and grief. Alex is a young boy who loves his grandmother, who he calls “Candma”. She is sick and gets better a few times, but eventually she becomes very sick and passes away. His parents explain that her spirit has gone to Heaven, and Alex must learn to deal with his grief and remember his grandmother with love.

This book does a wonderful job with making death and grief understandable to a child. The author emphasizes the importance of family members reinforcing that the grandmother loved Alex even after she has passed away. The author also includes pages in which both parents prepare Alex for her death and grieve with him. His parents are open about their emotions and do not try to hide their sadness from their son, encouraging him to be open as well.

I also really loved the illustrations by Emily Zeiroth. They show Alex and his family in both happy and sad moments. I think the detailed facial expressions will help children connect with Alex’s emotions and empathize with him.

Unfortunately, there are a few issues with this book as well. I found multiple grammatical errors which mostly involved missing commas. While these didn’t impede my understanding of the story, it’s important for children’s books to be grammatically correct because children will model the writing they read. I also didn’t like that the pages were either all illustration or all words. Until the very end of the book, there were no pages that incorporated both a picture and narration. Finally, Alex’s little brother, Aiden, is introduced at the very end of the story, but he is never specifically said to be the little brother, and it’s implied he wasn’t alive when the grandmother died even though the boys look close enough in age for this to not be true. This could be confusing for children.

Overall, I would give this book 3 out of 4 stars. It deals with a difficult topic exceptionally well, but it needs some editing to fix the grammatical mistakes and integrate the pictures and words more effectively. I would recommend this book for children ages 4 to 10, although younger children will need an adult to read them the book. It would be especially good for children who have lost family members or are likely to lose loved ones in the near future.

Candma Goes to Heaven
View: on Bookshelves
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I agree with you about children's books being grammatically correct; I think it's important as well. This does sound like a great way to help children deal with loss. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I don't ever remember reading such a book as a kid. Not even Cinderella or Snow White help one to prepare for grief. You grieve and move on so quickly to the next scene. Thanks for the review! This is a good book!
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

I would recommend this book to any child so they can be prepared for the loss of their loved ones.
Wonderful review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Parents try to shield their children from so many things, instead of talking about them and preparing the child for life's realities. I like the author's ability to present these themes in a way that would be beneficial for this age range. Great review!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I commend the author for broaching such a subject to children. It's not easy. Thanks for your wonderful review.
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

Thanks for the review, I usually do not like books involving death, however; this book seems sweet.
mellie23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mellie23 »

These books are crucial to teaching kids how to deal with and accept grief in a very proper way

Return to “Children's Books”