Official Review: Dinky The Christmas Elf by Billy Campbell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Official Review: Dinky The Christmas Elf by Billy Campbell

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dinky The Christmas Elf" by Billy Campbell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dinky, The Christmas Elf, by Billy Campbell, is a children's book that tells an inspiring story about friendship, life-long dreams, and generosity. Dinky, a forest elf of 12-years-old, aspires to become a Christmas Elf. Every six years, there is a competition that will give Dinky the chance to be awarded the title of a Christmas Elf. To win, he needs to build and present an outstanding toy.

Two days before the competition, the Great Gathering takes place, where these mythical creatures get together and march into the mountain to collect berries and nuts for winter. When Tink and Boo, Dinky's best friends, break the elementary rule of staying close and following the path, they get lost in the deceptive forest. Will they survive the dark realm overnight and the legendary Ghost, the white wolf? Will Dinky find a way to save them or will they be forever lost? But what about his goal? Will he win the contest or will his heart be filled with dissapoiment?

As the author's debut novel, I believe he has done an excellent job in combining some of the basic educational bricks for the growing mind with a creative world. He builds fantastic characters with a genuine personality that kids could easily relate to. The elves' magical form is packed with human nature where devotion, solidarity, and commitment are the pieces which contribute to these characters' development.

Parents and educators could benefit from exposing this book. It is wrapped in positive life lessons such as working hard to fulfil your dream, facing the jealous people who'll do their best to put sticks in your wheel, the value of true friendship, and the strength of making hard choices.

In only 32 pages, Billy Campbell has structured the book in seven short chapters, that can be taught in the classroom or read as a bedtime story. I'm positive that this story will be a stimulating and entertaining theme to debate with my nieces and their friends.

LaVonia Corbin McQuitty vividly conveys the story's actions through her expressive illustrations. I'm pleased to give Dinky, The Christmas Elf a meritorious rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The clean editing had a heavy influence on the score, as I believe young readers need grammar accuracy as they develop their literacy skills.

Dinky The Christmas Elf
View: on Bookshelves
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a cute story! I do hope that Dinky gets his dream of becoming a Christmas elf! Thanks for sharing this one with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

This sounds like a great book for kids to receive for Christmas! A touch of adventure never hurts! Thanks for a great review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This sounds like a very entertaining book with some great lessons for kids. Thanks for the great review!
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Jul 2019, 08:26 This sounds like a cute story! I do hope that Dinky gets his dream of becoming a Christmas elf! Thanks for sharing this one with us.
VernaVi wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 03:58 This sounds like a great book for kids to receive for Christmas! A touch of adventure never hurts! Thanks for a great review!
Mbrooks2518 wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 08:50 This sounds like a very entertaining book with some great lessons for kids. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you, guys, for your comments! I highly appreciate it! 🙂
~Tayma Tameem
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

A real good book to teach children about working hard to fulfil their dreams and the strength of making choices. Thank you for the review.
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Magnify3 wrote: 18 Jul 2019, 07:44 A real good book to teach children about working hard to fulfil their dreams and the strength of making choices. Thank you for the review.
Indeed! My nieces loved it and I was pleased to notice that the book accomplish it's mission and presented some circumstances that put them on thinking. Plus, we had some fun too! 🙃

Thank you for your time and comment Magnify!
~Tayma Tameem
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

This book sounds so cute, I work in childcare and the children would love this :)
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

jasmine-louise wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 01:15 This book sounds so cute, I work in childcare and the children would love this :)
That sounds a great idea! I hope you enjoy it and have some fun! :) Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Jasmine!
~Tayma Tameem
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

Thank you for this review. I believe this book will be added to my I want to read shelf. I feel that the book sounds as though it teaches many behaviors that children these days are in dire need of learning.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

The cover of this book is very cute and the story sounds very interesting. Thank you for your honest review.
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Carolreads30 wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 10:09 Thank you for this review. I believe this book will be added to my I want to read shelf. I feel that the book sounds as though it teaches many behaviors that children these days are in dire need of learning.
I totally agree with you; it is very educative. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Carol!
~Tayma Tameem
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Ria710 wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 15:36 The cover of this book is very cute and the story sounds very interesting. Thank you for your honest review.
Thank you for commenting, Ria!
~Tayma Tameem
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

InStoree wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 04:55
Carolreads30 wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 10:09 Thank you for this review. I believe this book will be added to my I want to read shelf. I feel that the book sounds as though it teaches many behaviors that children these days are in dire need of learning.
I totally agree with you; it is very educative. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Carol!
you are very welcome

Return to “Children's Books”