Official Review: The Adventures of Tanner Bean

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: The Adventures of Tanner Bean

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of Tanner Bean" by Michael Flipp.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Adventures of Tanner Bean was written and narrated by Michael Flipps. In the audible book format, the author spoke in a slow and clear pace as if he was reading to his own grandchildren.

Tanner Bean was 12-years-old and liked riding his bike and playing with friends. Popping wheelies and making long skid marks with a bicycle were some challenges and records that Tanner wanted to do. After seeing a red bicycle in the store window, he just knew he needed that bike! He was willing to earn money to buy it, but when the neighborhood bully, Corky, showed up, things got complicated. How would Tanner work through the difficulties and disappointments of his plans to earn enough money? Would Tanner need a miracle? Would he ever get the new red bike he so badly wanted?

I best liked that this book brought back good memories of my own childhood. I liked that I could relate to Tanner’s story of growing up in the 70s where the neighborhood kids played outside, rode banana seat bikes, bought penny candy, and did odd jobs and chores. I also really liked the author’s dad’s poem that was included at the end of the book. The poem rhymed well and told a story. This poem inspired the author to write his story of Tanner.

I least liked how TJ’s parents seemed too strict about TJ doing what was right immediately when TJ and Tanner actually decided on their own to do what was right during one particular episode of the book. I do not want to give anything away, but I was a bit surprised at the parent’s overly strong reactions to the situation.

I rate The Adventures of Tanner Bean by Michael Flipps 4 out of 4 stars. The audible book was edited well, as I noticed only one error. Each word was pronounced clearly by Flipps as he read the story. The author brought to life the characters of Tanner, TJ, and Corky in this simple straightforward story with examples of good work ethics, outdoor fun with friends, and doing the right thing in tough situations.

Young children would like this book the best, as I can picture grandparents reading to them. The nostalgia the book may bring to the grandparents could build a bridge to the younger generations. I agree with the author that this book is suitable for the eight to ten-year-old age group. Older teens that prefer a lot of action in stories may not be too interested in a typical summer in the life of a 12-year-old boy from the 1970s found in this book.

The Adventures of Tanner Bean
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

I like the nostalgia this book presents, but I wonder if the plot and writing are strong enough to hold kid's attention. Thanks for the thoughtful review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought about an audio book for kids. I do wonder, though, if they would miss the illustrations that actually reading a regular book would bring. It seems like a good enough story, though. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I can relate to Tanner as I desperately wanted a pink toy corvette to ride around the block! This book sounds like it provides some valuable lessons about overcoming obstacles to get what you want. Thanks for the great review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I believe it's a very good, nostalgic read teaching kids how to overcome obstacles. But the book might be interesting also to those appreciating simple pleasures of life. I would definitely love to check it out, thank you so much for your excellent review! :)
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like that the book takes on the issue of bullying. Your comments about the parents' reaction have piqued my interest. Great writing!
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

Ah this seems like such a wholesome read for kids!I enjoyed the characterization as well. Great review!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

"Tanner Bean." What a perfect name for the protagonist in a children's book! This sounds like a cute story, teaching the child good morals and giving them the ability to think about right and wrong. Thank you for this great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Nostalgic is right. I remember being able to play outside and run around, the main rule being 'be back when the street lights come on.' It's difficult to let kids do that today and many probably haven't ever known that kind of freedom. I think this is definitely a book to read with a child so that they can have that bridge between then and now that you spoke of. Great job on the review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

Sounds like a fun book. I would definitely want to read this. I love reading middle grade books. Will get my son who is 8 to read this too. Thanks for a nice review.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Playing outside, riding banana seat bikes and doing chores...that was the life 😁. I don't see much of that these days. Thanks for the review.
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

oh my little ones would love this, thanks for reviewing!

Return to “Children's Books”