Official Review: The Last Surviving Dinosaur: The Tyranto...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Official Review: The Last Surviving Dinosaur: The Tyranto...

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Surviving Dinosaur: The TyrantoCrankaTsuris" by Steven Joseph.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last Surviving Dinosaur: The TyrantoCrankaTsuris by Steven Joseph is a quaint little book with amusing illustrations. The author is Jewish and a great deal of the charm of the book is the way that he makes fun of Jewish stereotypes. The main stereotype being the need to prove to everybody that your ‘tsuris’, or problem, far outweighs the ‘tsuris’ of everybody else in the room or even the planet.

I enjoyed this little book which claims that the human race is descended from a ‘tsuris’ dinosaur who mated with a ‘kvetching’ dinosaur. I also enjoyed the Yiddish cries of ‘oy!’ which came up in the story.

I particularly enjoyed how some of the illustrations contained jokes that were not mentioned in the text. The TyranoKvetchaTsuris arrives from Florida and it is obvious from the illustration that he experienced a similar adventure with the toe fungus and the alligator. However, he still managed to get one up on the TyrantoCrankaTsuris. If you want to know how come the TyrantoKvetchaTsuris is immune to the endless complaining of the TyrantoCrankaTsuris, the answer is in the illustration.

The pictures are colourful and great fun and I didn’t find any problems with the grammar or spelling. I have two criticisms which are that the book states that dinosaurs became extinct in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages followed the fall of the Roman Empire. Dinosaurs had already been extinct for over 65 million years before that happened.

My other criticism is the claim that only one dinosaur survived. Actually, two survived and knowing what a pedant I was as a child, I probably would have raised this issue with my parents.

The book looks to me to have been professionally edited. However, I find it hard to gauge what age group it is aimed at. It’s obviously a children’s book, but
I think an adult mind is required to fully enjoy the gentle self-deprecation and the use of stereotypes. A very young child would probably enjoy the pictures without making the relevant connections. However, I always like it when a children’s book works on more than one level and there is something there for the parents as well as the child.

This book made me smile but not laugh out loud, so while I have few criticisms, I’m awarding it 3 out of 4 stars.

The Last Surviving Dinosaur: The TyrantoCrankaTsuris
View: on Bookshelves

Like Helen_Combe's review? Post a comment saying so!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

This seems like a very interesting and unusual story. I particularly like the fact that the book contains illustrations and images that are always a good addition to the children's books.
Thank you for your review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This truly sounds a bit complicated to me and I wonder how it might be for kids. Thanks for the awesome review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

What an interesting mix, though I wonder if it might be a bit hard for children to understand unless they grew up in a Jewish household. I agree it's hard to determine the appropriate age. Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
ingrid_orcn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ingrid_orcn »

this book is recommended for adults and specially for kids! the story is very unique and quite interesting. i’m excited to ready more about this!! :twisted: thank you for thr positive reviews! i will surely love it!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Your review made me smile. It seems like the Yiddish references in a children's book might limit the audience range, but I agree that it's a bonus when there is a layer that parents can also appreciate.
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

This seems like an interesting book for children and young adults. It's Aldo hood yo know that it was professionally edited. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I also enjoy a book that, while aimed at children, adults can enjoy as well. This one sounds interesting, but I wonder if you aren't familiar with Judaism if it would just go over your head. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I'm wondering if I could figure it out - even after looking at the illustration!! A primer on Yiddish terminology would be helpful. I enjoyed your fascinating review.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

I was hoping this book was geared toward a preschooler as my grandchild would love it, but it seems though, it might not work to that age group as well except for pictures. Thanks for your review. I appreciate being able to have an honest opinion before purchasing this for her.

Return to “Children's Books”