Official Review: The Trouble in Tune Town by Maura Pierlot

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Trouble in Tune Town by Maura Pierlot

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Trouble in Tune Town" by Maura Pierlot.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Oh, no! Meg has been practicing for her special concert at the Tune Town park, but now the music notes have run away. How can she make music without notes? Will Meg find them in time? Follow their journey in The Trouble in Tune Town written by Maura Pierlot and illustrated by Sophie Norsa.

This delightful story is everything a children’s book should be; it’s colorful, creative, fun to read, and beautifully illustrated. The rhyming text will entertain young readers as they learn vocabulary words related to music theory. New words are introduced in a large colored font and are also included in an informative glossary at the end of the book.

Additionally, the book reassures young readers, “If you’re having fun, then you’re playing all right.” This is such a valuable lesson in today’s performance-oriented society where even young children may feel the pressure to succeed. The book also includes themes of acceptance, self-confidence, and perseverance. Its 36 pages are edited flawlessly.

I absolutely love the beautiful watercolor illustrations, particularly the vivid hues and the attention given to the music notes. One wears a beret and cool shades while another sports a headband and the three female notes each have a different hairstyle and color. As they explore a groovy jazz club and a loud rock and roll show, they exude personality that is sure to amuse young readers.

I can't think of a thing I dislike about this fun book which has already received several awards in the U.S. and Australia. I happily rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The synopsis recommends the book to "kids of all ages," and due to its musical and artistic appeal, I agree. I also recommend it to parents, grandparents, and teachers. It's one of those special books that kids will want to be read over and over again.

The Trouble in Tune Town
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like a cute book! I think the message of the book is quite valuable to children and even adults. Do something that you love! Not everything has to be a competition. Thanks for the great review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love this creative theme - notes that run away! What fun! The story line along with the wonderful illustrations make this an appealing book. This would make a wonderful gift. Thanks for recommending this sweet-sounding book!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

The three female music notes sound entertaining. And I love that the author includes lessons for children- especially to enjoy just playing (pressure to succeed will come soon enough!). Thank you for a delightful review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 15:16 This sounds like a cute book! I think the message of the book is quite valuable to children and even adults. Do something that you love! Not everything has to be a competition. Thanks for the great review!
I agree. Thanks for your comment, Stephanie.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 16:58 I love this creative theme - notes that run away! What fun! The story line along with the wonderful illustrations make this an appealing book. This would make a wonderful gift. Thanks for recommending this sweet-sounding book!
It would make a wonderful gift! You're welcome. Thanks for stopping by.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bluebird03 wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 17:20 The three female music notes sound entertaining. And I love that the author includes lessons for children- especially to enjoy just playing (pressure to succeed will come soon enough!). Thank you for a delightful review.
They are! You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

What a delightful, musical storybook! Watercolor illustrations are the best style for kids' books, in my opinion. Great review, loved your summary.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Aww. This sounds so cute. I hope the kids that get to read it love what's inside.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

KristyKhem wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 22:08 What a delightful, musical storybook! Watercolor illustrations are the best style for kids' books, in my opinion. Great review, loved your summary.
Thank you, Kristy.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nisha Ward wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 22:55 Aww. This sounds so cute. I hope the kids that get to read it love what's inside.
Thanks for stopping by, Nisha.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Aww, I love this! It sounds very well-written and sweet, with a great message. I like how the book also introduces children to music theory. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Never-ending Reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Never-ending Reader »

I haven't read the book, but that is a very inviting review that doesn't spoil it! :)
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Rachel Lea wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 17:57 Aww, I love this! It sounds very well-written and sweet, with a great message. I like how the book also introduces children to music theory. Thanks for your review!
Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your comment.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like that the book will teach children on different aspects of music, such as type of genres, or notes. I also like that it’s well edited. Thanks for the wonderful review.

Return to “Children's Books”