Official Review: Charlie the Clickbug

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Official Review: Charlie the Clickbug

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Charlie the Clickbug" by Raymond Sobrino Jr..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Charlie the Click Bug by Raymond Sobrino Jr. is a children’s picture book about a bug named Charlie. One day, Charlie falls over while walking with his friends and begins clicking uncontrollably. Charlie brushes it off, but his friends are scared. They tell his mom about the incident. Charlie’s parents decide to take him to the doctor. At the doctor’s appointment, they find out that Charlie has epilepsy, which manifests as uncontrollable clicking in click bugs. What will Charlie do? Will he be able to go about his life like normal? Will his friends still like him? You’ll have to read this book to find out.

I love the lesson in this book. It really teaches kids who have a disability or a medical condition that they can overcome the challenges it brings. I love that kids will get the message that it is okay if they are a little bit different. I also like that it can be used to introduce the readers to epilepsy, which is a neurological disorder that is sometimes seen in young children. However, I do think that epilepsy could be defined a little more clearly. Children will need the disorder explained a bit more before they will really understand it. Even with this issue, the book is a good place to start.

I also enjoyed the illustrations while I was reading. The pictures do a great job supporting the story. Children will easily be able to follow the story by looking at the pictures as someone reads the book to them. This is a key element in books written for a young audience, and I wasn’t disappointed.

My biggest problem with this book is that it isn’t professionally edited. I noticed more than 10 errors within the book, which is a lot for a short children’s book. I am a stickler when it comes to grammar in children’s books, so I am disappointed that the book contains so many errors.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is a nicely illustrated book with a great message. Unfortunately, the book isn’t properly edited. Because of this, I can’t give it a perfect score. Even with the editing problems, I would still recommend this book for parents and teachers of children in elementary school (ages 5-11). I think it is too juvenile of a book for children older than that. It would be a great book to read to children who have epilepsy or who know someone with epilepsy. I would recommend that it be read with an adult so that it can be explained.

Charlie the Clickbug
View: on Bookshelves

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I absolutely love the premise of this book! The younger we teach children about differences and how to embrace them, the better off our world will be! That is too bad about the lack of editing, perhaps with another round of editing, it will receive a higher score. Thanks for the great review!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

The book sounds lit, of course that is once you minus the lack of professional editing. Thanks for sharing.
Mistyj16
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mistyj16 »

The book "Charlie the clicking bug" reads very well, I like the lesson behind it. I love how it shows kids not to discriminate against people with disabilities. Thank you for sharing your talents.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I like that the book addresses disabilities-and specifically epilepsy. And the supportive illustrations are a plus. Great review!
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I like the way the author used a bug as the main character and showed that main character with a disability. Due to the topic that it covers, it could be a good teaching tool, if the grammar mistakes were corrected. Thanks for your thorough review.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like on the moral of the story which is on epilepsy and being positive in life. Thanks for the wonderful review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

A cute little book that teaches an important lesson. I like the cover of the book and your words of praise for the appropriate illustrations. This seems like a lovely story to help make children aware of certain health conditions. Great writing!

Return to “Children's Books”