Official Review: Paper Sack and Bag Man

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Official Review: Paper Sack and Bag Man

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Paper Sack and Bag Man" by Portia McGowan Green.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Paper Sack and Bag Man! by Portia McGowan Green is a children’s book. It tells the story of two friends that want jobs.

Bag Man wants to go with Paper Sack to Washington Apple. In order to get there they have to take the train. In order to take the train they need money. Bag Man realizes he needs a job. He remembers seeing a job-opening sign in the window of Lemon Lane Grocery. He goes into the store, fills out an application, and interviews for a job. What about Paper Sack? Will he also get a job? Will they be good at their jobs? Will they meet new people?

I will tell you right off, I really did not enjoy this book. I got the paper copy and intended to give it to my niece to read once I finished. That will not be happening now, mostly because of all the errors riddling this book. Commas are missing where they should be and added where they shouldn’t be. Words are needlessly capitalized. There are careless mistakes like, “5’oclock.”

Even if all the mistakes were fixed, I still would not enjoy this book. At first glance, there is a lot of text for a children’s book. The story has too many needless details. For example, Bag Man meets Mr. Broccoli when he enters Lemon Lane Grocery. We’re told what Mr. Broccoli looks like and what he’s holding, but all Mr. Broccoli does is walk Bag Man to the supervisor then walk away, never to be seen again. In a simple children’s book like this, we don’t need to read about every little thing. It makes the story drag on. Sadly, this story didn’t really have a plot or a story arc. The story starts out with Bag Man and Paper Sack wanting to go on a trip. I thought that would lend nicely to a beginning, middle, and end story. Unfortunately, this is more of a series of events described.

There are illustrations in this book but they don’t look particularly professional. Some of them are even fuzzy. The characters’ expressions and stances don’t change from each page. Some of the pictures are mirror images so that the characters look like they are facing a different direction, but they are all just copy-and-paste versions of the same illustrations, sometimes with props added to make them look different.

Unfortunately, I have to rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. The storyline, illustrations, and editing fell short of my expectations.

Paper Sack and Bag Man
View: on Bookshelves

Like bb587's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Thank you for a honest review and making through this book! The absence of a main plot makes it useless, for sure. Bad illustrations and too much needless details are huge disadvantage as well.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, at least you gave the author something to work on. I don't think this one is fit for a child at the moment, and I'm not in the age range anyway. Thanks for your honest thoughts on this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

All in all, this sounds like a very disappointing book, especially the illustrations- which are the main appeal for children. Also, the numerous errors are unfortunate. Thank you for a very informative and truthful review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Sorry to hear that this book missed the mark. Thank you for the honest review!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Per your comments, I'll be passing on this book. It sounds like it needs some major retooling. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

Too bad about the poor storyline in this children's novel. The mistakes also appear many. Thanks for your honest opinion.

Return to “Children's Books”