the little prince by Antoine saint-exupéry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
VAwkOb12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

the little prince by Antoine saint-exupéry

Post by VAwkOb12 »

I read this book first in french then in english. I was trying to learn some french but wasn't very successful.

Do you have the same reason for reading it or do you just like it?
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by SavannaEGoth »

I was introduced to this book when I was in French class, but read it more for my own enjoyment. I adored the illustrations and the quirky story-telling. When I found out that a movie was being made it was like a dream come true. The story and film both pack a lot of heart, and I really do like the character of the Little Prince.

It is actually a pretty good practice to pick up comics or children's literature in a foreign language to better learn how to read and communicate in that language. The vocabulary and sentence structure is simple and easy to follow, and word repetition helps you to ingrain what you're reading.
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

VAwkOb12 wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 07:41 I read this book first in french then in english. I was trying to learn some french but wasn't very successful.

Do you have the same reason for reading it or do you just like it?
I also read this book in French whilst I was learning the language. Now I have no clue what the story was about. It is a classic but I have no idea what I was reading then.
fifa_reads_110
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifa-reads-110.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by fifa_reads_110 »

I did not read this book for the language component. I actually came about The Little Prince in a more roundabout fashion. See, I really enjoy reading classics, but whenever I heard of The Little Prince, I thought of The Prince (hardly a lighthearted read) or A Little Princess (not really my style).

However, I really enjoy this one song by Keane - Somewhere Only We Know. One day, I looked up the video on YouTube, and saw this charming cartoon with a boy and a fox. As I listened to the song more and more, I wanted to know - who is this boy? Why is he with a fox? Why would this song be part of a soundtrack for such a film? (Note: I may have been influenced by a related love of cartoons...)

In any case, the description pointed to The Little Prince. I downloaded it and immediately fell in love! It is such a short read, but every sentence brings that incredible "I'm not the only one who feels this way" emotion. I was devastated when it ended, and stand in awe of Saint-Exupery's ability to cram 15 life lessons in every chapter! I cannot imagine what the world would be, if every author were able to convey their thoughts and ideals in such an elegant and concise manner.

I read this book just a few months ago, and have read it at least once a month ever since. Highly recommend!

Return to “Children's Books”