Official Review: MABEL Anderson has An Elegant Tea Party.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: MABEL Anderson has An Elegant Tea Party.

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "MABEL Anderson has An Elegant Tea Party." by Alma Melton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mabel Anderson is a special little anthropomorphic bunny girl. Not only is she throwing a big, elegant tea party for her bunny friends, but she's also celebrating their collective creation of two hundred cookbooks, all written to raise money for Saint Jude Children's Research Hospital. She's also the star of Mabel Anderson Has an Elegant Tea Party, an adorable children's book by Alma R. Melton.

The book has two major components to it: Mabel preparing for the party, and then the party itself, with each taking around half of the book. The preparations are lovely; Mabel makes food, sets up the decorations, finishes working on her special dress, gets her hair done, and more. This section alone could easily be used with children: the food and decorations can be played out with toys or for a real party at home together as a family, and the hair and dress portions could easily be used for children who are scared of getting their hair cut or who want to reward a child with a special outfit. Heck, it may even work for people like me who hated getting dressed in anything fancier than a t-shirt. The second half of the book is the party itself, where Mabel and 12 of her bunny friends get together. They celebrate, they eat, and they talk about how they can't wait for the next party!

While preparing for the party, Mabel finds some "adorable cross key chains" that she gets for each of the guests, and the bunnies pray together before their meal during the party. Mabel also says a prayer before bed, but aside from these three moments across nearly 50 pages, the rest of the book foregoes religion altogether. This felt like the perfect level of religion in the book: it made these things seem natural and ordinary while showing that they do them on a regular basis. Alma doesn't beat people over the head with these things, and the bunnies are so positive and kind that it's easy to see they're living their beliefs as well.

Combining cute bunnies with tea parties is like a thematic jackpot for many children, and Courtney Tolbert does a good job with the illustrations. There are full-page illustrations and smaller images with bordered pages, but every page is covered with color in one way or another. I read a PDF version of the book, although it's only available for sale in physical versions, and even on my laptop screen, the images look saturated with paint. Have you ever painted a page with watercolor or finger paint, and when you're done the back of the page feels wet? That's the feeling I had flipping through the images, which is rather remarkable for a digital reproduction! With that said, I do wish the faces were painted just a little bit better, particularly the blushing cheeks and eyes. Most of the time they're fine, but occasionally they look a bit off.

Mabel Anderson Has an Elegant Tea Party is recommended for children between the ages of 5 and 6 on Amazon, and I would absolutely agree with that. This is definitely a book for young children, girls especially. If your child has a beloved bunny stuffed animal, that'd make it even easier for them to get into this elegant little tea party. I found three grammatical errors, but they were all essentially the same exact error: the use of "guest" instead of "guests". With some good writing, adorable art, pages that look like they're somehow still dripping with paint, and a complete lack of rhymes (which also means a complete lack of forced rhymes), my rating of Mabel Anderson Has an Elegant Tea Party is 4 out of 4 stars. People who are actively anti-religion will want to stay away from this book, but anyone else should be fine with the two inclusions of prayer.

MABEL Anderson has An Elegant Tea Party.
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a cute book with a good message. I love how colorful it is; I think it'd really appeal to children. Thanks for another fabulous review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Very cute children's book. My niece loves having pretend tea parties, she'll love the book. Thanks for the review.
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

My little granddaughter loves tea parties too. I'm not sure how the (real, live) bunny that lives under her porch will feel when she tries to catch it to attend! :animals-bunnywhite:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Sounds like a wonderful children's book! Great review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love the details in this book - both of the preparations and the party and the colors used in the illustrations. This is a lovely book for children. Thanks for the beautiful recommendation.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like such a cute story. I like your comment about the perfect amount of religion in the book, which is great for 5-6 year olds in my opinion. A little introduction to it without having it as a major theme or discussion is very well thought out for this target age. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and your great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Return to “Children's Books”