Official Review: Cell Biology For Babies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Official Review: Cell Biology For Babies

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cell Biology For Babies" by Dr. Haitham Ahmed.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cell Biology for Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed is a children’s picture book that introduces readers to the most basic building block of life: the cell. The book starts off by explaining what a cell is. It then delves into the basic functional parts of the cell and how they contribute to the cell. Each of these parts is defined and pointed out within a picture of the cell to make the book interactive. Do you know your basic cellular biology? You’ll have to read this book to find out.

This is a great introductory book for children. It is written using simple terminology. It can be difficult to describe the parts of the cell using easy vocabulary, but the author did a great job on this. The definitions are easy enough for young children to understand. The formatting of the book is also ideal for a young audience. Each page talks about one part of the cell and includes a picture that shows that part. This format is kept consistent throughout the book. When a picture book has some predictability, it makes it easier for kids to follow along.

I love the way the illustrations point out each of the parts of the cell that the text describes. The same basic picture of a cell is used on every page. The part being defined is in color in the picture while the rest of the cell is in grey. For example, on the nucleus page, the nucleus is green and the rest of the cell is grey. Each page also has a task for the reader such as “find the mitochondria in the picture”. The color coding of the pictures makes it fun and easy for the reader to complete the task. The use of these tasks makes the book interactive and engaging for the young audience.

I have to commend the author for making sure that the book is properly edited. I’ve read a lot of children’s books that have errors in them. I really appreciate the author’s effort on this book. I did not notice a single error throughout the entire book!

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. The Amazon description of the book recommends it for children ages 0 to 10. I also recommend the book for this audience. The simplicity makes it perfect for young children, and the interactive parts of the book are excellent for this age group. I think it is the perfect book for parents or teachers to read to children to introduce them to cells.

Cell Biology For Babies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

By the sound of the review, I could say that this is a very informative book. A great source of knowledge. Thanks for being so specific.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like an educational book for children, that is well-written. Thank you for a great review!
Juju15
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juju15.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Juju15 »

It's such a good idea to introduce children to this topic that could be seen as complex. I appreciate the care the author took to make it accessible to a younger audience. Great review, thank you(-:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one does sound educative, but I'm wondering if it's really that important to start off children learning about the cell so early. It seems that there are a lot of other things that would be more important to teach them, but that's just me. Still, at least it was well done. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

It sounds like an informative book. I don't think it's that important for children to learn about cell biology. The review is wonderful.
chiadeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiadeer.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by chiadeer »

Oh wow! I am going to get this book for my kids. I have a degree in Microbiology and teach them little tidbits about cells and germs and whatnot, but this looks like a nice little picture book!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This would be a great book to introduce children to biology and maybe stimulate some interest in that area. The pictures are so helpful at this age. I like that the author wants to offer this age range a new subject to explore. Thanks for your review.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

Wow! I think introducing children to cell biology early is such a great idea. Thanks for your review.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

A complex concept presented in a simple way! Hats off to the author for breaking these complex units down for a younger audience. Thanks for a great review.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

This is an educational book told in a creative and fun way. Kudos to the author! This is a great way to introduce science in an appealing way to children. I also love the illustrations! Thanks for the great review.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

Sounds like an educational and fun book for children. It's great that it is well edited. Science is such a great way to foster a child's curiosity. Great review! Wonderfully written.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This would be a nice way to learn Biology. At times, even as adults, we learn about the cell in a manner that is confusing and one ends up forgetting as soon as the information is passed. This will definitely help kids to be familiar with the cell from a young age. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a very educational, but fun read. I like how you mentioned the illustrations the children can see while reading through the story... that visual component is very beneficial for children, and might be the preferred way some of them learn. Thanks for your great review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

No I do not know my cell biology. My 5 year and I can learn together. It will not take long for her to start recognizing the pictures and start telling me.
Thank you, I want this book now!
amjohnson13

Return to “Children's Books”