Official Review: Watch Her Shine by Deborah Henry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Re: Official Review: Watch Her Shine by Deborah Henry

Post by gen_g »

Cotwani wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 02:23 I hope the author reworks the book as you suggest. I think she also wasn't clear on her target age group. Whereas the premise would make sense to tweens and younger teens, the bright illustrations and 'infamous' magic would appeal to younger readers. Thanks for the great review!
You hit the nail right on the head about the unclear target age group! The story has a lot of potential, and I think it would be a pity to not introduce the book to little ones. Thank you for stopping by, I appreciate it!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

written as a linear narrative; however, Henry tends to make jumps back and forth along the timeline, which I personally think will make the story rather confusing for children.
from a child's point of view, couldn't agree more.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 11:14
written as a linear narrative; however, Henry tends to make jumps back and forth along the timeline, which I personally think will make the story rather confusing for children.
from a child's point of view, couldn't agree more.
Indeed, I believe that smooth flow is important. Thanks for dropping by, Sahani! (:
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Huh, your review itself has repelled me away from the book. Well-thought out review Gen! Even for me, it is difficult to keep track of overlapping and swinging timelines. I'm pretty sure children won't be able to appreciate it either. And the simple solution of magic seems way too convenient. Reminds me of how I felt about 'The Alchemist'.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Fuzaila wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 09:52 Huh, your review itself has repelled me away from the book. Well-thought out review Gen! Even for me, it is difficult to keep track of overlapping and swinging timelines. I'm pretty sure children won't be able to appreciate it either. And the simple solution of magic seems way too convenient. Reminds me of how I felt about 'The Alchemist'.
I thought it was such a pity, since the book had a lot of potential. Thanks for stopping by! (:
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

This book aimed for some very noble lessons, unfortunate it was bogged down with so many other errors! Hopefully the author will take your feedback into account and publish an even better version! Thanks for your review :)
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Firefawkes wrote: 02 May 2019, 20:44 This book aimed for some very noble lessons, unfortunate it was bogged down with so many other errors! Hopefully the author will take your feedback into account and publish an even better version! Thanks for your review :)
I agree wholeheartedly about the unfortunate presence of errors! I hope so too, thanks for stopping by! (:
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The storyline seems interesting. But there's much room for improvement. I think the author will consider these mistakes. Thanks for this honest review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 04 May 2019, 00:49 The storyline seems interesting. But there's much room for improvement. I think the author will consider these mistakes. Thanks for this honest review.
Indeed, I hope so too. Thanks for stopping by! (:
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

It is my belief that a children’s book should have a clear storyline and a good introduction for deeper immersion and increased engagement.
I agree completely. Those are the kinds of books that last for generations. Nice review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 04 May 2019, 17:20
It is my belief that a children’s book should have a clear storyline and a good introduction for deeper immersion and increased engagement.
I agree completely. Those are the kinds of books that last for generations. Nice review!
Absolutely, I agree with you! Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate it!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The intention of the author was amazing. I am saddened by the fact that the book does not meet its objectives though. The idea of solving problems using magic will not be that inspirational though and may present a misleading perspective of problem solving to children. Thanks for the objective review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Kibetious wrote: 06 May 2019, 04:37 The intention of the author was amazing. I am saddened by the fact that the book does not meet its objectives though. The idea of solving problems using magic will not be that inspirational though and may present a misleading perspective of problem solving to children. Thanks for the objective review.
I agree! Hopefully, the author will adjust the book slightly, and I believe that it will be much better then. Thanks for stopping by!
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Oh dear. This sounds like a good book, but the structuring of the story would *definitely* make it confusing for young readers (or most readers, really)!

Thank you for your review :)
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 13 May 2019, 06:17 Oh dear. This sounds like a good book, but the structuring of the story would *definitely* make it confusing for young readers (or most readers, really)!

Thank you for your review :)
I totally agree! Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate it. (:

Return to “Children's Books”