Official Review: Lydia's Gift by Kimberly K. Schmidt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: Lydia's Gift by Kimberly K. Schmidt

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lydia's Gift" by Kimberly K. Schmidt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I was pleasantly surprised by Lydia's Gift written by Kimberly K. Schmidt. This book is the second in a series for young readers who can enjoy short chapter stories. The description stated that this title was geared for third or fourth-grade level students, but I could also see this being read by an adult to children in lower grades.

It is quite evident that the author has experience with farm living as she weaves a beautiful tale about a horse named Lydia who is born at Grayson Farm. While being the new foal in the group, she has to learn from the other barnyard animals how to fit in. All of the creatures in the story speak to one another, but the adults, Mr. and Mrs. Little, are not aware of this. They own two guard dogs, Bella and Jake, who keep watch over the property for predators and Puzzle the calico cat who always seems to be quietly observing. Also, there are two chatty crows, Zack and Mack, who perch near the farm to make sure that all is well.

Besides Lydia, there are a pair of horses, Maddie and Sally, who are inseparable and leave no room for a third friend. Samson, born around the same time as Lydia, is somewhat of a companion at first, until he decides that an older horse named Caesar is a better option. Because of this isolation, Lydia has no choice but to seek out advice from the cat, the dogs and the crows who teach her valuable life lessons. This further sets her apart from her own species and causes a bit of tension.

What I liked most about this book is that there is a secret that everyone is keeping from Lydia. Before the conclusion, it is revealed to her by her mother, but it is done with great compassion and love. I felt this was a wonderful example to teach children how to handle a sensitive subject with care. It expresses the idea that just because we know something doesn't mean we have to share it until the right time and in the best way possible.

Also, this story carries a powerful message that a personal flaw can always be used as a stepping stone to gain strength in other areas of life. Even though the plot of this is focused on animals, this easily could be applied to the human experience. Children who view themselves as weak or insignificant will find a spark of inspiration from a horse who makes a decision not to listen to the negative opinions of her peers. She forges ahead and grows into what she was destined to be. This self-empowerment is effectively displayed as Lydia pushes aside self-doubt and learns to trust her inner strength.

There wasn't anything about this book that I didn't like. I found three minor errors in punctuation but would have overlooked them entirely had I not been keeping an eye out for mistakes. The writing is not only inviting, but the black and white illustrations add depth to the story. I don't read a lot of children's books, but this one certainly grabbed my attention just in the sample pages. As mentioned at the beginning of the review, this is a series. However, this story can be read on its own without reading the first one. It was so well done, I think this author will gain quite a following.

For all of its glowing qualities, I award this a 4 out of 4 stars. Amazingly, I learned a few things from a horse named Lydia.

Lydia's Gift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

I like the moral of the story. Great review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like an engaging and educative read for children. I believe this book helps the kids in very many situations no matter how confusing they could be. I loved that the book even has a mystery, and the cover is so beautiful! Thank you for this great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can think of many youth that would love a story centered around horses. This one sounds lovely and fun. I'm not really in the age group for this one, but it's possible I'll pick this up for a short read. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds great! I know my own kids would love to read about farm animals. I like how the theme is about fitting in, an issue that every child can relate to.
Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Janelle Juncos »

This sounds ideal for that sensitive, middle-school age kid who doesn't feel they fit in anywhere. I love the idea of creating a narrative through animals to soften the life lessons within. Thanks for the review, it's great!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

You've got me wondering about that secret they're keeping from Lydia...
The book sound great, and I love the cover.
Great review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Talking animals, friendships, and a mystery - these will draw in the target audience. Your intriguing review also makes it attractive to adult readers! Thanks for the excellent review.

Return to “Children's Books”