Official Review: Mr. Pirkl's Tale by Samuel Okonofua

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Mr. Pirkl's Tale by Samuel Okonofua

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mr. Pirkl's Tale" by Samuel Okonofua.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever loaned a friend or loved one money? Isn't it amazing how they suddenly start hiding from you? Or how, even when you do find them, they act guilty or make all kinds of excuses about why they don't have your money? You're definitely not alone, and now you can even say there's a children's book all about it!

Mr. Pirkl's Tale: The Briscoe's got conned by Samuel Sele Okonofua is, you guessed it, the very children's book I was just talking about. Mr. and Mrs. Brisco are hard-working farmers, and Mr. Pirkl comes over to borrow a bit of money. Unfortunately, Mr. Brisco has loaned Mr. Pirkl money in the past, and it took a year for him to pay him back last time. This is a fact that Mrs. Brisco reminds him of repeatedly throughout the story, and it makes Mr. Brisco angrier and angrier when he starts visiting the Pirkl household only to find that Mr. Pirkl is never home. Will he ever see his money again, or will Mr. Pirkl ruin a friendship over a loan?

I've got to admit, when I first discovered this book, I was intrigued by a children's book about farmer pigs who get conned by some insensitive turtles. Seriously, the cover of this book is so remarkably unique that I couldn't resist the urge to find out what happens! I received it in the mail today and set the book on a chair in the living room while making breakfast, and my preteen nephew and early-teen niece saw it. Before I even knew they discovered it, the two of them got into an argument over what the word "conned" meant. The nephew had no idea at all, and the niece was smart enough to pick up the word "con" being in it and knew it meant something negative (like "pros vs cons"), but didn't really know what it meant either.

Diving into the book knowing even a 14-year-old didn't know what a word in the title meant presented me with an additional challenge. While every children's book has me wondering what age group would get the most out of it, I was stuck wondering if this was a book for children at all. Not only are there big words used, such as "conned" and even "condescendingly", the topics in the book also aren't really geared toward children either. Showing a person purposely rip off a "friend", then hiding from them whenever they come over, only for the story to end with the pigs who were conned searching for the rest of eternity for money that was owed to them in one final con isn't a great lesson. Well, unless the lesson is "don't loan people things or they'll treat you like this", in which case it's a terrific lesson to teach. Just make sure they don't pick up the "you can con people very easily once you get their trust, people are very gullible and you'll get away with it" lesson by mistake.

Then there's the issue with how the story is told. Pages have dozens of words each, and are formatted like a script, such as: "Mr. Pirkl- Hello, my good friend I see you just made it back from the farm, how did it go today? (With a smirk on his face)". The writing itself often feels drawn out, and it lacks that poetic, fun flow that great children's books have. I can also see this format creating problems reading the book aloud since merely listing the name of each speaker would get dull over time. Finally, I found a dozen errors in total, although only two would actually mess with the flow of reading the story out loud. The rest of the errors are punctuation errors or minor things like using "devices" instead of "devises" on the back cover.

The art in the book is very colorful and quite sharp, although I couldn't help but feel it could've used a bit more polish too. I did love that they were full-page images, though, and with a book that's the same size as a sheet of regular paper, that means the images are easy to view at pretty much any distance. The characters' faces are incredibly expressive as well, often to a humorous level. The turtles have very terrifically greedy faces when they see money, and Mr. Brisco has such an angry face that I expected to see steam coming out of his ears. It was also very awesome of Samuel to include so many coloring pages at the end of the book! There are 15 coloring pages in total, compared to 16 full-color images in the rest of the book (including the cover).

I have a hard time recommending Mr. Pirkl's Tale: The Briscoe's got conned, not only because it's impossible to nail down the right age group for it, but also because it could've used more polish and editing overall. Even the title could've used work; the "Mr. Pirkl's Tale" implies that this is about Mr. Pirkl, but the majority of the book is about Mr. Brisco trying to get his money back. I'd rate the book 1.5 stars if I could, but since that isn't an option, I can't bring myself to give this book the lowest possible rating. As such, my rating of the book is 2 out of 4 stars. Maybe parents who really want to warn kids about the dangers of loaning toys or money to others will still get some use out of it, just be prepared to explain some terms and apply some storytelling pizzazz!

Mr. Pirkl's Tale
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Based on your review, I wouldn't have blamed you if you gave the book one star. A children's book that isn't useful to children isn't really good for anything.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. That doesn't sound like a tale I'd want to share with any children. The dialogue sounds off, and the big words are too much. Thanks but no thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It doesn't really sound like something I would want to read to my children when they were small. Thanks for the review!
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

Interesting idea. I don't really know how to feel about it. Thanks for the review!
cat51570
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cat51570.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by cat51570 »

As a teacher, I can say that I do not believe this is an appropriate topic for a children's book. However, introducing new words that are a bit above the level of the child is okay as long as there are enough context clues for the child to figure out what the word means. Thanks for your thoughtful review.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

Considering that the story is meant for kids ,the moral did not come out clear ,if ever it did. However despite the shortcomings i found the tale so relatable and fascinating.Thanks for such an informative review ,amazing!
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The cover is enticing and makes one hopeful for an interesting story. Too bad the book did not deliver. I appreciate your insightful comments. Great review.
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

Why would I read for my children a book with no moral lessons? Or one that may help then make wrong choices? This is not for me.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

The higher-level vocabulary wouldn't in and of itself be a deal-breaker, especially if it is used as a read-aloud story. Children can typically listen and understand at a higher reading level than they can read themselves. The other problems you brought up though, those are total deal-breakers in my book. Thank you for your review.
Maggiegilbert
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maggiegilbert »

I think theirs too many big words for kids,better for adults ,like the the cover.A good tale ,fascinating for me not the kids.
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I think it isn't a bad idea to write about this kind of book. I feel like if you discuss it properly with children saying that we should be responsible when it comes to borrowing money or things it will give them a lesson that they can bring till they grow up. However, I agree with you that the author should use age appropriate language and writing style.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I think I will skip this book, as it sounds too complicated for younger readers. While it is nice to hear the pictures are well done and age-appropriate, it is unfortunate that the dialogue doesn't follow suit.
Great review, though!

Return to “Children's Books”