Official Review: Emotional Intelligence Activity Book for...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Re: Official Review: Emotional Intelligence Activity Book for...

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Seems like a good idea that as badly executed and not enough thought put into it either. Some of the negatives you brought up, like not being written for kids to read themselves, actually makes me wonder if the author even has any kids herself.
Thanks for the detailed and thorough review!
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

chiefsimplex wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 14:41 I have gathered that ,the strategic arrangement of material in this read was good.However the targeting is totally off the mark- the interactive aspect is woefully compromised. I hope the author takes note.Thanks for such a thorough review
Yes, I hope she takes note too and alters the workbook so it's more useful. Thanks for your comment!

Espie wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 16:17 Emotional quotient is an important human facet to hone, and I agree that it's best that professional advice is well-backed. I appreciate the author's honesty with the declared disclaimer. Thank you as well for your frank yet well-explained thoughts on the piece.
Yes, me too. Thanks for your comment!

shereads shereads wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 18:30 Wow, this sounds like a great concept with an extremely messy execution. Too bad the book didn’t live up to its potential.
Agreed. Thanks for your comment!

Cotwani wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 09:43 The idea of the book is quite interesting. The title just draws in anyone working with children. It's unfortunate that it was poorly executed. The author should have done some research on child psychology in order to know how well to package some of the ideas. Thanks for your thoughtful review!
I agree, this is a very important topic, too important to be "winging it." Thanks for your comment!

kdstrack wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 11:48 The author had good intentions with this book. I love your insightful comments about the book's contents. Your parental common sense shines through! Thanks for your review.
Aww, thank you for that! Thanks for stopping by.

Kelyn wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 14:41 I liked the title of the book and would have had high expectations of it myself. It's unfortunate that the content reflects a very poor knowledge of children's psychology. Perhaps having some professional consultants on the book would have been a good idea. The concept of teaching children about their emotions is a good one, it was just poorly done in this book. Thanks for the review, I'll be sure to avoid this one.
I agree, I had high hopes based on the title as well. I think this book has potential if some professional psychologists and publishers were engaged. Thanks for your comment!

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 17:12 Seems like a good idea that as badly executed and not enough thought put into it either. Some of the negatives you brought up, like not being written for kids to read themselves, actually makes me wonder if the author even has any kids herself.
Thanks for the detailed and thorough review!
Yes, I'm not sure what the case is here. It might just be an old school way of thinking. Thanks for commenting!
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

It sounds like this book has a lot of issues. It sounded promising though. Excellent review
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I was so interested in the title of this book that I clicked through to your review right away. What a shame it did not deliver! So many things could prevent a child from enjoying their schoolwork - to deal with this by shaming them for their "bad attitude" could mean that an opportunity to uncover an underlying issue is missed. Thanks for a very helpful review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I am so disappointed! I was very excited to read the title of this book. I work in an elementary school, and I thought this might be a great resource. I see that with the vocabulary issues alone it will not be. Thanks for your very thorough review.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

Thank you for this review. I was thinking of picking this up, now I will be choosing something else. It seems like there is maybe just too much information in this book.

Return to “Children's Books”