Overall Rating and Opinion of "Prophase"

Discuss the November 2014 book of the month, Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street.

How do you rate Prophase?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
19%
2 stars - fair, okay
5%
3 stars - good, recommend it
38%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
38%

Total votes: 21

angelbeats1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbeats1.html
Latest Review: Iran Before . . . by Dennis Briskin

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Prophase"

Post by angelbeats1 »

When I first heard of this book I thought it was about science because of the name prophase. Similar to anaphase and metaphase during mitosis and meiosis. However I am glad I picked this one up! At some parts it was a little slow, but then it got super interesting and I was compelled to finish reading it! Overall I would give this book a 3/4. It could have been a little more exciting, but still did its job in keeping me entertained.
scquarantillo
Favorite Author: rachel vincent
Favorite Book: Forever by Judy Blume
Currently Reading: Undead to the World
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scquarantillo.html
fav_author_id: 4455

Post by scquarantillo »

I am almost done and I really am enjoying this read! I loved the plot and world building. The characters were grwat. Though this is not a book I would have picked out for myself, I am so glad I did! So far my rating is a 3 of 4 stars, but I will wait until the ending to post.
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

ALynnPowers wrote:Overall, I agree with the original reviewer's rating (3 out of 4). It was pretty good, and I would recommend it, but I wouldn't say it was perfect. I especially loved the "colorfulness" of the book. I kind of felt like I was in the middle of some weird rainbow explosion for most of the book, especially when it got to bits about flying and jumping and whatnot. It was neat in a psychedelic way, but I couldn't handle too much of it at once.

My biggest "problem" with the book was not necessarily something wrong with the story... it was just something that personally gets to me because I actually have experience in this exact area. Minor SPOILER ALERT. Starting now.
Piper was adopted. Interesting. I am also adopted.
Piper's adopted mother died when she was young. Interesting. My adopted mother also died when I was (relatively) young.
Piper discovered her biological mother. Interesting. I also know who my biological mother is.
In a very brief period of time after the discovery of her biological parents, Piper began calling her biological mother "Mom."
It's such a tiny point in the story that I am sure no one else even paid attention to. But as someone who was adopted, raised by a certain woman who later died, yet knows her biological mother, I could tell you that this would never happen. Not in a million years. I know her; I even like her; I kind of look like her; she's a great person, but I will never refer to the woman who didn't raise me as "Mom." She didn't earn that title. That's not a name you just throw around. Anyway, I will hop down from my soapbox concerning that minor point. But because of my personal connection with this, it really bugged me while I was reading.

That is all.
I feel ya Alynn.

I loved the book though, as did my daughter and, between us both we rated it 4 stars. I guess it didn't bother me much that she called her biological mother "Mom". To each his own. For me it was "Dad" and believe me "Dad" is NOT what I would ever call him.
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

The book was quite interesting and the story was quite different.
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

Very interesting comments. Not really my cup of tea, but maybe I'll check it out.
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Not my cup of tea either. I think I'll give this one a miss :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

"Prophase" is a very good book and I recommend it to the readers. I give it 3 out of 4 stars. I liked the review of this book and then I decided to read it and it was worth it.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
SamanthaGarcia
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthagarcia.html
Latest Review: Fates Sweet Passion by Patricia Crumpler

Post by SamanthaGarcia »

I truly loved this book. I read and wrote a review for it. Unfortunately, it was rejected because I had incorrectly said it had no profanity. Silly mistakes, am I right? But honestly, I just loved the main character and the raw emotion she is going through in the initial chapters of the book. She has so much on her plate and now she is going through a magical awakening? It's nuts! But I loved the book and I am reading the second one and I am so glad it exists. Whoever is on the fence about it, take the dive and try. You won't be mistaken.
Sunday Onuorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-onuorah.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Sunday Onuorah »

Enjoyed the play of science, art, and spirit. Definitely looking forward to the next book in the series. 4/4 stars.

Return to “"Prophase: A Present Tale" by Mitchel Street”