Featured Review: Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street

Discuss the November 2014 book of the month, Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street.
Wayamom8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Featured Review: Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street

Post by Wayamom8 »

Very honest and fair review by Sumbule1. I like the suggestion for developing the other characters. Perhaps with the books to follow in the series, the other characters will have their time to become fully developed. The story itself sounds interesting. The sample definitely reeled me in to want to explore more.
MatisseVH
Currently Reading: Black Death at the Golden Gate
Bookshelf Size: 1515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matissevh.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MatisseVH »

I am always interested in a good coming of age fantasy! It really can give someone a jumpstart on their imagination and a relatable character. I definitely want to try out
Jacquelyn-63
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacquelyn-63.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Jacquelyn-63 »

Thank you for your review. This book sounds interesting, but I’m not interested in reading it. A magical book is not up my alley.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

On her 18th birthday, Piper discovers some life-changing and magical things about herself. In this coming of age tale, Piper's life as a normal teenager is about to turn upside down. It's nice to hear there was a variety of magical creatures and powers. It sounds like an interesting storyline. Great review.
Silgorious123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: B07RFWG93C

Post by Silgorious123 »

The review is precise and it gives a good insight into the life of piper, who is like a mother to her brother, after their mother's tragic death from cancer. Their father was hit very hard on her death, and he took to drinking beer.

The hero is a great character, and quite likeable due to her motherly nature. I was not expecting her boyfriend Chris to part with her just before her birthday. Anyway, this seems to be a blessing in disguise for the poor soul.

I surely love the author's flow and descriptions, but sometimes it seemed more like telling, rather than showing the events. Overall a good read. I give it 3 out of 4 stars.
Zuri_The_Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zuri-the-sun.html
Latest Review: Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

Post by Zuri_The_Sun »

The review has me excited. Anything remotely paranormal is definitely on my wish list. I'm going to read this as soon as I get it in another format. Nigeria doesn't seem to have Amazon Kindle😥
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

The story is really good. I think Piper has a special power and I'm very excited to know how she got those powers. Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street is a novel what I'll always feel excited to read. Thanks for the review.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

This sounds like a good coming of age fantasy novel. I think teens will relate with Piper.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

I can see why you thought there was too much going on, I'm trying to wrap my head around all that happened myself. Perhaps all the trouble Piper is having in her personal life is taking away from the fantasy aspect, or vice versa, but it does sound like there's a lot packed in here. Nevertheless, I enjoy the YA fantasy genre and this might be worth a look. Thanks for the review!
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

Great job on the review. Prophase sounds like it will be an interesting story. I like characters with magic or Powers. I definitely like hearing about a character that is learning to use the powers they just found out they had. The characters should definitely be developed on order for a reader to understand the different changes. Based on review sounds like it was lacking in that department. I may read it to see for myself. Congratulations on BOTD.
Nandy
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 170

Post by Nandy »

Piper's story seems to be one that can be easily identified with by many people. Her life and hardships seem to promise a very interesting story
graceful-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-graceful-1.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by graceful-1 »

I love the name Piper! In your review, you wrote, "The one person who has answers is the old neighbor, Esther, who has been a part of her life since she was a little girl but is she ready for the truth? Is Piper ready to fulfill her destiny?" That was a good hook to set up the story and the mystery of what is happening to her. But at the same time, she is an ordinary girl who goes to her school dance, has a boyfriend and is left to care for her brother all while trying to cope with the loss of her mother and alcoholic father. A book that leaves me with a lot I can relate too!
katdchu
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katdchu.html
Latest Review: Effective Leaders and Leadership by Mildred Stallworth

Post by katdchu »

This is a mystical story about Piper Walker, a high school student. Several critical incidents happen in her life, such as loosing her mother at a young age, having an alcoholic, abusive father and stepping into a parental role for her younger brother Charlie when still a child herself. She has a cat she loves and a few friends she shares things with. This young lady finds solace in the forest, however she never really feels like she fits in, something is missing but is not sure what. I can hardly wait to learn what makes her different. :D
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

This sounds like it could be a good book of or on prophase. Yet, with so much information I somewhat feel like I have already read it and basically know its outcome. I will add it to my want to read list though.
Chelsea N. Hackett
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I think it's interesting is that this character has so many changes in appearance, strength, hearing, and eyesight. Also interesting how Piper might fulfill her destiny. Great review.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Return to “"Prophase: A Present Tale" by Mitchel Street”