Featured Review: Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street

Discuss the November 2014 book of the month, Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street.
2018-365Books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Re: Featured Review: Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street

Post by 2018-365Books »

Prophase is about a teenage girl who unknowingly is destined for great things. The beginning feels rushed and chalk full of explanations for every little thing in a way that disrupts the flow and makes for an unenjoyable read as the story progresses and reaches more plot the writing style smoothes out (at least in the preview). I would give it a go to see if it's your style. Though I am left wondering what happens next the characters feel 2 dimensional, and based solely on a single characteristic.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Coming of age story of piper is much interesting. But have not found any thing fantasy in it. Superbly reviewed. I like it.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Katungu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katungu.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Katungu »

I read the sample and loved it. Based on the review and the sample, I will add it to my list of books to read. Am looking forward to finding out the link between piper and the baby born in the forest. It would also be interesting to find out how Piper deals with her new found power and dealing with her personal issues such as her break up with her boyfriend and her abusive father all at the same time.
TrishKissane
Currently Reading: Transforming Faith
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishkissane.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by TrishKissane »

I am not a fan of fantasy novels and the review plus the initial read of the first few chapters confirms this for me. It does seem well written and fast paced initially. Good review though so if the genre fits the reader it would definitely be added to their bookshelf.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
jokyboy2
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by jokyboy2 »

I think it's a nice and interesting book with a lot of suspense to follow,I would love to read this book to get the gist.
Fibonacci
Currently Reading: The Sex Tourist
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fibonacci.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Fibonacci »

An awakening, Mystic creatures, adventure and friendship...sounds like a great treat for fantasy lovers..nicely written review.
Kingsway
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsway.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kingsway »

How interesting and captivating..it comes with a real urge to read more at the beginning. When I read the first page,I was like"giving birth in the woods with giants as residents? " so I continue reading. I realised in time that the giants were a family... Wow! I just fell in love with what I read.
Abudho
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abudho »

Piper Walker, the main character in this book suffers a sour deal when her mother passes on due to Breast Cancer. This happens shortly after her brother Charlie was born. She is then forced to take the up-hill task of raising her baby brother in the watchful eyes of their father who is not only abusive but also an alcoholic. She heavily relies on her friends- Lisa and Chris for support. Together with her neigbours, Piper found solace in an extended family she never had.
Piper lived near a forest, full of many paths- one leading to the high school and the others leading to a myraid of seasonal wonders. She spent most of her time in the woods, finding adventure through the many treees, the animals and the flowers.
Together with her friends, Lisa,Chris and Josh they form a garage band called 'The Coat Tales' in which ,though quite uncertain of her voice, Piper became the lead vocalist and they were certain of winning the major talent show. Piper transforms and finds her new self after the Spring Fling Dance. She finds her new identity, she wakes to a whole new world. She finds life to be more beatiful, breathtaking and complex than she ever imagined. The story is a masterpiece, an embodiment of nature beauty, celebration of both love and life , all exhibited by the Power of one girl.
I would give it a four star rating.
meryna kate73
Currently Reading: Last Seen
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by meryna kate73 »

Thanks for the awesom review..a great written story that fantasy readers would enjoy. The protagonist's character is easy to relate to and would like to find out how she juggles between being forced to be a mother to her younger sibling, handling her alcoholic dad, the emotional break up with her boyfriend and the discovery that she has special powers..The author gives a great sneak peak into the mystical world with vivid descriptions that keeps the readers imagination hooked..I would recommend it to the younger teen readers but also great for any reader. Kudos Street!
davclick
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by davclick »

Is an interesting, easy to read, coming of age novel with a little fine tuning.Could be a successful series.
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

YA stories are one of my favorites. I think I may check this one. Thanks for the review!
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
CaseyM
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by CaseyM »

I love coming of age books.

Having read your review and the Amazon sample, I'm excited to learn what would happen to Piper. I would love to discover the truth behind Piper's identity and her fate.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 469
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

Piper has never been the most beautiful or most popular girl but she has always had great friends and for the last two years an amazing boyfriend.
Reading this review and more so this part, I could not help from imagining the type of girl this is. She must be a person of strong character. Mitchel has no doubt done a wonderful art in crafting this fantasy novel.
โ€œIf things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.โ€~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
Wesono
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesono.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Wesono »

When I started reading the review I thought the story is on cancer. But I'm sure if the story is as good as the review I will like it
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I thought the review was interesting to read.

Return to โ€œ"Prophase: A Present Tale" by Mitchel Streetโ€