Gone Girl ~ Amy's Diary (Spoilers)

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Re: Gone Girl ~ Amy's Diary (Spoilers)

Post by AmySmiles »

The reveal about the diary was total game changer for me. Who writes a false diary? It really put new light on Amy's character and just how twisted she was.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

The twist with the diary also caught me off guard. I believed the diary at first because who would write a false diary, right?? It was a great device, and it added tension and conflict to the rest of the story.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

The reveal about the diary also caught me off guard, and I was so shocked I had to put the book down for a minute. It was a great device, and it added even more conflict to the plot of the story. At first, it sold Amy as the victim, and it just showed how well thought out Amy's plan was. It definitely was a good aspect on the author's part to put you on Amy's side and distract you from the signs.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

The reveal about the diary seemed like a way to express the depth of Amy's twisted psychology and is Flynn's way of letting readers get their first hint that everything we learned so far needs to be reassessed. You're expecting a diary to reflect true, actual events and when we discover it's apart of her machinations it's this big shock.
melu2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by melu2 »

i loved it so much cause we womens show this weak side to us but with amy she showed that we cant only be the person who would be left out but also we can show that we are smart and that we can show that our weakest part can be our weapon to show that who we really are and remind them what they been missin out.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Oh I consider that a brilliant move. Both on the autor and the character account. And to be honest, so accurate to some strategies that people like that tend to use. So DMS-V. I loved it. It also showed how deeply thought and round her character was.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

Amy used the diary as a weapon, a form of concrete evidence that reeks of careful planning and a strategic mind. Flynn deliberately misleads readers - no one expects a diary to be recounting untrue events.
kalgaonkarsnehal
Favorite Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Favorite Book: Wish You Well
Currently Reading: Connect the Dots
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalgaonkarsnehal.html
Latest Review: Effective R.U.L.E. by satish shitut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 15638

Post by kalgaonkarsnehal »

One has to be at another level of intellect to plan like this. The fact that it was a false diary, blew me out of the water! The author is a genius to have even come up with this idea and also to have used the diary as a tool for narrating a parallel story that didn't even happen. We as readers feel the same punch as the male protagonist when we come to know that the diary was all fake. Its absolutely genius!
“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.” ― Isaac Asimov :techie-studyinggray: :D
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I did not expect the diary reveal at all. I really loved it, both as a narrative device on the author's part and as an amazing glimpse into how terrifying Amy's mind really is. Composing such an elaborate and detailed fake account speaks of a calculating and dangerous person. So, all in all, a very good idea and excellent execution!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I read the book a few years ago, so my memory is a bit hazy. I do remember being surprised though. The shock was unreal.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Linda S 1
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-s-1.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Linda S 1 »

It was a completely unexpected plot twist. The author was very wise to use this element because it brought the whole story together. If bridged the gap between the two halves of the plot.
Preye I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preye-i.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Preye I »

The diary was perfect for this novel. It revealed so much in such a descriptive, thorough and almost haunting way. I got chills as I was reading it. I don't think it could have been more perfect.
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

Amy's diary was a complete plot twist that I not see coming. I believed it at first and when I realized the truth I was memorized.

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”