Do you think Amy and Nick both believed in their marriage?

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Re: Do you think Amy and Nick both believed in their marriage?

Post by AmySmiles »

No, in fact, I feel like they both totally used each other and for different reasons.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I definitely think they believed in it! I believe that they were fake with themselves and each other, and they created their relationship based on unrealistic fantasies and ideals that they were both 100% committed to. If Nick wouldn't have lost his job, there may have never been any issues between them. Unfortunately, their circumstances didn't allow them to continue their facade, and I believe they became aware of how fake their love really was.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

Amy and Nick were both manipulative and deceiving as a means to the end. The perfect example of a unhealthy, toxic marriage.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

I think more than the institution of marriage, they liked each other in their own twisted way.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

I think Amy 100% believed in the marriage. She loved Nick and she had her expectations of what she wanted from him and the relationship. She had hopes and dreams and the relationship only took a turn for the worst when she thought Nick no longer believed in their marriage.
Nick, I'm not so sure about. At first I think he saw their relationship as exciting, but after he was just enjoying the ride. He can't have believed in it as much as Amy if he wanted to cheat on her.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I believe that their marriage meant something to them throughout the course of the novel. At first, I believe that they must have married for love, but towards the end, it was clearly for comfort and Nick did not love her. They clearly did not work on the relationship after marriage and were clinging to an idea.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I think Amy cared a lot about her image and that's what prompted her to go on her maniacal, psycho plan - she refused to become the woman who was left by her husband for a younger, prettier version and ruin her carefully constructed persona of 'Amazing Amy'. She also wants to tarnish Nick's image - make him hated so that she could be, in this weird way, worshipped - feeding her ego and her abnormal thirst for vengeance. I don't think she truly cared about the marriage so much as what it represented.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

When Nick strangles her and realizes he couldn't live without her, that was when I realized they both were fully invested in their screwed up marriage. Unfortunately, though, it is a depiction of something that very often happens in abusive relationships: people become addicted to the drama and the abuse and they cannot function in a normal relationship afterward because it seems too boring or lacking in real emotion.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
siusantos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Post by siusantos »

At the beginning of the story, I would say yes. They seemed to love and adore each other. But I guess, due to the toll of daily life, they grew apart and began resenting each other.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I don't think that either of them believed in their marriage, per se. But it's also clear to me that both Amy and Nick had deeper motives than just the ideal of love to stay together. From Amy's point of view (or at least, what I consider would be the point of view of a textbook Narcissistic Personality Disorder with antisocial tendencies) it was not as much about staying with Nick, as it was about keeping something (someone) that she considered her property, regardless if she enjoyed her relationship with him or not. Not to mention the public perception of her character and the importance for someone the likes of her entails.
Nick however,was far from being an angel in this story. And just like any other human being, had flaws that led him to dig the hole in which he fell. No completely healthy person engages in a relationship with someone so sick. Grated, people like Amy are masters of lie, and find their way into fooling everyone around them; but the harsh truth is that they always seek certain traits in their victims/partners, and Nick, at the end of it all, proved to be a typical complement of someone with a narcissistic personality.
banevius
Currently Reading: Bones and the Treasure Map
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-banevius.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by banevius »

I think they both believed in it when they first got married. I like that Flynn included the small moments when they first started dating that show attraction and new love. All the things that suggested they're perfect for each other were there. So they got married. Over time, I think that love faded, and they slowly started falling out of love. This gave way to Nick's cheating and Amy's plotting. Towards the end, I don't think either of them believed in marriage in the sense that we think people should. It became more a marriage of obligation rather than love.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

At the beginning and throughout their marriage, I would say Amy was more invested. Possibly that's what prompted her crazy plan - she had put all her hopes and dreams into the marriage and got kinda unhinged upon seeing it going down the drain, not to mention her constant pandering to the public and her image so she probably believed the stigma of being a divorcee would stick to her.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Hmmmmm, a hard question to answer for sure. I think they pretended a lot . They didn’t seem to have an honest partnership. I saw them having a damaged relationship .

With that being said, I still really like the book and the movie.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Initially, yes. Later on, no. They fell out of love and were mean and cruel to each other.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Scarbaby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarbaby.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Scarbaby »

I agree with many of us on here suggesting that Nick and Amy only gave a certain amount of themselves to one another and thus became fixated on fulfilling the roles they were accustomed to. I also believe that there were flashes, glimpses rather, of what their love could have been for them both—if they had surrendered to that love from the beginning.

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”