The Englishman

Discuss the September 2014 book of the month, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Re: The Englishman

Post by Barbara Larkin »

That reminded me of someone searching hills and valleys for their glasses, only to be told at the end of their journey it's been on their head the entire time. It's needing someone to tell you something plainly obvious so you can react with "Why didn't I think of that?" You'd not react negatively, per se, so much as wonder why you weren't more proactive to begin with.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I would have been rather discouraged. The Englishman has spent years studying his books and has traveled so far to meet the alchemist and finally get some help. Being told to go and try, instead of receiving help would have been very demotivating. I was struck, however, by the Englishman's response that he is going to try something he has waited ten years to do, and that he is just glad that he didn't wait twenty years.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

iekelek23 wrote: 04 Jun 2015, 08:51 My first reaction would have been discouragement, followed by despair. After a period of sadness, I would have realized the alchemist was right. I am at a point in my life where I both really, really want to achieve my goals, and am afraid that I never will--or that it might be better to just leave them as dreams rather than try to make them real.
It appears that, right now, you are both the Englishman and the crystal merchant. Don't wait too long before deciding what you are going to do. Your heart and your omens might stop talking to you if you ignore them for too long.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Sen_Suzumiya wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 13:42 Maybe I would gain the confidence I needed to believe I can do anything. Sometimes you just need to hear you are capable and important and capable of anything by someone you admire and think he is wise. Maybe, in the end, that's all we need, someone to believe in us so we can believe in ourselves.
Wow! I never thought of it this way. By telling the Englishman to go and try, the Alchemist is really saying "I know you can do it. Stop doubting yourself and go and try". Thank you for this insight! :tiphat:
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Leyla Ann wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 18:02 It's a bummer that there weren't much scenes including the English man. I feel like he was disregarded a little too much.
I would also have liked to see a little more of the Englishman. He seemed like an interesting character, and I think we could have learnt more from him.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

It would probably depend on the circumstances! But, whatever those might be or had been, that is still a long way to travel for an answer like that. The Englishman character kind of reminds me a little of the white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland: he always seems busy and always has something on his mind - almost as if the whole transmutation thing didn't really matter that much. But, ultimately and personally it would suck but having an ulterior motive for being there would most certainly lessen the blow.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

The British band Dire Straits released a live album in 1984 entitled "Alchemy". I was trying to reconcile the "Walk of Life" video with this book, somehow. However, that particular song is not included in that live album. What I'm thinking, is that the path to reaching a goal (including becoming an alchemist) is probably kind of like the video, which includes I think only baseball, football, and basketball. There's indications of friendship and teamwork, a "sweet loving woman", the advice and reactions of all the people could be seen to mirror the advice someone learning any trade may face. It's also sometimes humorous, like when the two players on the same team are trying to catch the same ball and they completely run into one another. Additionally, it has been suggested that alchemy is "evil", in which case the nervousness of the people could indicate fear of a supposedly evil presence.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think I would listen to an alchemist and try to turn lead into gold.
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

Cee-Jay Aurinko wrote: 02 May 2015, 01:36 The Englishman travels many miles to find the alchemist, so that he may finally understand how to transform lead into gold, only to have the alchemist tell him: Go and try. In light of this, The Englishman reacts rather positively, by deciding to go and do it. If you were the Englishman, what would your reaction have been?
I would have being discouraged but only temporarily. I would get a good nap, wake up and start afresh. I would go through the texts and double check what I missed. But the questionI have is whether I'll find the same treasure as Santiago?
hageorge3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by hageorge3 »

Yes at first l would have been disappointed with the reply of the alchemist but then when l get to think about it l would realize that he has a point. Because everything in life you have to try first, and in trying you will get a better understanding in whatever you had set out to do. Try, try again if at first you dont succeed, try try again as the saying goes....
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

Two years ago, I would have been dejected, said something on the lines of f#*! it. But the experiences have made me realise that, there's always a chance of striking gold once we start trying and working towards a goal.
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

It would be a disastrous moment for me. I could think all the past years as a waste.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Cee-Jay Aurinko wrote: 02 May 2015, 01:36 The Englishman travels many miles to find the alchemist, so that he may finally understand how to transform lead into gold, only to have the alchemist tell him: Go and try. In light of this, The Englishman reacts rather positively, by deciding to go and do it. If you were the Englishman, what would your reaction have been?
I would be really upset for one. But I would also be thankful because there is wisdom in what the alchemist said. Probably asking him to think beyond the lead and gold altogether. Above all I would appreciate the journey the most.
Victoria Elizabeth Apili
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-elizabeth-apili.html
Latest Review: That's what Ed said by U A Dumas

Post by Victoria Elizabeth Apili »

I would be angry and tired. I would give up the whole idea and interpret the whole thing as futile. I think that's in fact what the alchemist was telling him.
Alexandria Sarai Mitchell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandria-sarai-mitchell.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alexandria Sarai Mitchell »

I would feel and react the same as the Englishman. If I dedicated my life to that cause, I would no doubt listen to anything that The Alchemist told me because he's the one who knows the solution. And I could also note that all those could be tests to see if I'm truly worthy of acquiring the skills to turn lead into Gold.

Return to “"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho”