“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”

Discuss the September 2014 book of the month, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
Liz Alice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liz-alice.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”

Post by Liz Alice »

This is probably the most popular quote from The Alchemist. It could even be the most popular Paulo Coelho quote. But I’ve often felt that this quote centers around the idea that as long as you want something, you’ll get it. In a realistic sense, what do you think is the truth behind these words?
The book to read is not the one that thinks for you, but the one which makes you think.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

Realistically, not instantly. Everything takes time. That being said, when you put something out into the universe, it's bound to come back. I feel that's where 'the mind is everything, what you think you become', karma and a host of other philosophical belief stems from.
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

Barbara Larkin wrote: 24 May 2020, 09:13 Realistically, not instantly. Everything takes time. That being said, when you put something out into the universe, it's bound to come back. I feel that's where 'the mind is everything, what you think you become', karma and a host of other philosophical belief stems from.
I agree with you completely. This is the reason I am trying to avoid thoughts of my dark past.
Bhuvana Subramanyam
Favorite Book: Lady Smoke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhuvana-subramanyam.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Bhuvana Subramanyam »

Liz Alice wrote: 27 Apr 2020, 14:49 This is probably the most popular quote from The Alchemist. It could even be the most popular Paulo Coelho quote. But I’ve often felt that this quote centres around the idea that as long as you want something, you’ll get it. In a realistic sense, what do you think is the truth behind these words?
Relate this quote to the power of thinking explained by Dan brown in the book, 'The last symbol'. It perfectly makes sense!
Liz Alice
Currently Reading:

Post by Liz Alice »

Barbara Larkin wrote: 24 May 2020, 09:13 Realistically, not instantly. Everything takes time. That being said, when you put something out into the universe, it's bound to come back. I feel that's where 'the mind is everything, what you think you become', karma and a host of other philosophical belief stems from.
You're right, time is quite an important factor. And these believes also encourages one to have optimistic thoughts in hopes of having a better future. Thanks for stopping by :) :tiphat:
The book to read is not the one that thinks for you, but the one which makes you think.
Liz Alice
Currently Reading:

Post by Liz Alice »

Bhuvana Subramanyam wrote: 29 May 2020, 11:40
Liz Alice wrote: 27 Apr 2020, 14:49 This is probably the most popular quote from The Alchemist. It could even be the most popular Paulo Coelho quote. But I’ve often felt that this quote centres around the idea that as long as you want something, you’ll get it. In a realistic sense, what do you think is the truth behind these words?
Relate this quote to the power of thinking explained by Dan brown in the book, 'The last symbol'. It perfectly makes sense!
I haven't read it yet, but I'm really look forward to reading it. Thanks for stopping by! :)
szanta3030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-szanta3030.html
Latest Review: Days Passed by Mcentry Dunbar II

Post by szanta3030 »

I agree with the opinion about the power of thinking, although I rather disagree with this quote.
AJLIBER
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AJLIBER »

I feel that when we go after our desires and wishes wholeheartedly, things seem to fall into place and we are able to achieve it quickly. Sometimes we come come across obstacles in our path, but that doesn't mean that the universe is against us. Maybe we need to cross that path of resistance in order to achieve our goals. If our determination is strong enough we are able to achieve it, even when the universe throws us curveballs. That hindrance may be necessary in order for us to achieve it, because we're bound to learn a lesson from it in someway. I think it's all about mindset and believing that we are capable of succeeding and believing that the universe is on our side.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I believe when you want something, when a dream has been laid in you heart, it is because it is something that is meant for you, something you are meant to want. If you then go after it and do everything in your power to move towards that dream, you will be able to achieve it. You will be tested along the way, but only to see if you really want your dream, and to teach you the lessons you need to learn to achieve it.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

AJLIBER wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 14:32 I feel that when we go after our desires and wishes wholeheartedly, things seem to fall into place and we are able to achieve it quickly. Sometimes we come come across obstacles in our path, but that doesn't mean that the universe is against us. Maybe we need to cross that path of resistance in order to achieve our goals. If our determination is strong enough we are able to achieve it, even when the universe throws us curveballs. That hindrance may be necessary in order for us to achieve it, because we're bound to learn a lesson from it in someway. I think it's all about mindset and believing that we are capable of succeeding and believing that the universe is on our side.
I agree completely! Things really do seem to fall in place when you are on the right path - moving towards your dream - and this also how we can know if we are on the right path. The obstacles are only there to teach us what we need to know, and for us to prove to ourselves that we really want our dreams.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I've lived by this quote already many years and I firmly believe in it. Many times I've seen the universe in action, as long as you put effort in achieving your dream.
Rita Mbai
Currently Reading: Radioland
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-mbai.html
Latest Review: Tephra Rising by K. C. Weston

Post by Rita Mbai »

Well put...in the Laws of the Universe this is the law of inspired action... this book was a great inspiration.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think that is a very selfish statement and potentially a very dangerous notion for certain people to have. It would be nice to be that important, but I imagine there would be a lot of responsibility coming along with it. But, I have a scientific and realistic background and a "butterfly effect" paranoia with certain things - I got mad at my dog for killing kittens and after that, our farm cats chased him and I felt awful about it - as if I disrupted some delicate balance within nature. In the right hands, it is likely wonderful, but in the wrong hands, it is possibly devastating. But, it's probably fun to pretend.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I love this book so much and it makes me hopeful about years to come. I may not remember this quote word for word, but I kept it in my heart since I finished reading The Alchemist.
Romantically speaking, it's similar to "Born for You", a song by David Pomeranz.

Two years ago, a good friend recommended The Miracles of Your Mind. It's very much alike to "the law of attraction" concept. I like the optimistic belief on Providence or something like that.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Scarbaby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarbaby.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Scarbaby »

If I were to read this quote a year ago I would have probably said “yeah right.” In a perfect world I would have loved the idea behind this quote but I wouldn’t have genuinely believed it was possible. But today I am more fulfilled, more awake, and approaching a deeper, more natural state of bliss. When I read this quote today, I believe it. I believe in the law of attraction and I believe in the power of energy work.

Return to “"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho”