How did you feel about the end of the series?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Re: How did you feel about the end of the series?

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I felt like Victoria Ross was all too happy to kill off anybody that she possibly could. I wished that she would have at least let a few more people live, but she just kept killing them off one by one. I really wish that there was a different ending to this series, but that is just my opinion.

Gigareads
Favorite Author: Morgan Matson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gigareads.html
Latest Review: The Dream Keepers by Linda Keen
fav_author_id: 4123

Post by Gigareads »

Overall I enjoyed the series but I'm not a fan of the ending. I remember going through different stages of grief when I read it. First I was sad and bawling my eyes out, then I got quite angry at the author for putting me through this. In the end I came to understand why Roth ended the series this way, but I still don't like it. I prefer happy endings.

sri varshini303041
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Rasputin's Nephew by Marc J. Seifer

Post by sri varshini303041 »

I was heartbroken. I adored Tris. she was brave, honest, forgiving and sacrificing. I would like to quote,
“I suppose a fire that burns that bright is not meant to last.”
― Veronica Roth, Allegiant. :(

My heart goes to Four. “I don’t know how long it takes for me to realize that isn’t going to happen,
that she is gone. But when I do I feel all the strength go out of me, and I fall to my knees beside the table and I think I cry, then, or at least I want to, and everything inside me screams for just one more kiss, one more word, one more glance, one more.”
― Veronica Roth, Allegiant

But the ending justifies the story. It's real. Not everything is a bed of roses in life. Especially when it is controlled by men from outside. :cry:

jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f**k
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

To be honest I was really disappointed in the ending, particularly in the death of a certain character. I also did not like the fact that the whole tone of the novel seemed to change, particularly Tobias who seemed to become wimpish in the last book. Although I did enjoy the rest of the series I just really wished it did not go on such a tangent in the last novel.

Dee_7Reichardt
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 758
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Currently Reading: Tears and Trombones
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-7reichardt.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dee_7Reichardt »

I was upset and emotional at the end of the series. I wish that the author would haven ended it a different way because after three great books, it just seemed like the ending did not fit with what I would have expected. Along with this, the futility of the main character's death is frustrating to the reader. I tend to reread books that end well, but this series is now ruined for me.

frowngoclownfish
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: Speaker for the Dead
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frowngoclownfish.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by frowngoclownfish »

When I first read the Divergent series, it quickly became one of my favorites. The characters where nice, the world building was fantastic, and the story was simply wonderful. It has more or less 5 years since I read them. Looking back now, I'm disappointed with the ending. It felt incomplete to me. (And I'm not saying that became the ending wasn't 100% happy. Not every book/series needed a happy ending, in my opinion). I guess I wanted more out of the ending.
"I lived in books more than I lived anywhere else."
― Neil Gaiman, The Ocean at The End of the Lane

sush_destiny
2019 Reading Goal: 400
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

Completely unexpected. Could not have guessed that ending in a million years. I know I am supposed to say Tis was sacrificing , but I was disappointed.

dorebri2020
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I didn´t like the ending simply because I felt there were many characters who could have helped Tris. I do think it wrapped up the series very well, but knowing how the characters will blame themselves and will find it hard to move on is upsetting.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D

girly girl
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-girly-girl.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by girly girl »

Don't get me wrong, I love the series overall, but I definitely didn't like the ending. The fact that Tris died, hit me hard. I get attached to the characters, so it took me a long to get over it.

Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I wasn't a big fan of the ending either, though my gripe is always with what the main characters do after the main character dies that's the issue and not the main character dying herself. For the movies, I hated that they simply left it how they did and didn't bother with the fourth installation.

Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I love the series but when Tris dies....Oh My God i still remember how i cried like a baby in the middle of the night reading it.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”