Opinions on the Divergent movies

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Re: Opinions on the Divergent movies

Post by Atara Miles »

I watched the movies and read the books and found that the movies were up to par with the books (I read the books first). The acting was flawless, and the script kept to the books for the most part. They had top-notch effects and the design and everything seemed okay to me. The books were better though, no helping that.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

The movies were nothing as compared to the books.
Balena
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balena.html
Latest Review: Black Beach by Olivia Rana

Post by Balena »

I read the books first then watched the movies.

The movies were alright, but some details were incorrect. In Insurgent, the author depicts Tris as having shoulder-length hair. The actress in the movie, however, did not. This is supposedly because she had to act in another movie with shorter hair. Also, there were three people (not going to spoil it) being programmed to walk off the building and die. Those three depicted in the movie were not the same as the three mentioned in the book.
Sheetal_22564
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheetal-22564.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sheetal_22564 »

I have watched the movie as well as the novels but i found the movies better, although this happens very rarely. The storyline was different but way too straight forward in the book with less details as compared to what i wanted. Hence, i thought they were great as a movie only.
- Sheetal
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I read the books first and then watched the movies. The movie adaptation was fine on the whole they were very disappointing. There were so many beautiful and emotional aspects that the book had but the movies just rushed past them.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

I read the books first, then watched the movies. Apart from a few script changes, the plot was mostly the same, and the actors carried it off beautifully. The special effects were amazing as well.
Edna016
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Edna016 »

I really loved the movies becasue this time they actually lived up to the expectations in the book. At least for the most part, I would say that. It was good at getting your attention and getting connected to the characters. So yes i really loved the movies and the books all together.
prachi29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prachi29.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by prachi29 »

The movie was okay. I read the book before watching the movie.
Reader 05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-05.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Reader 05 »

Sarah_Khan wrote: 29 Jan 2016, 19:55 I would like to know if you read the Divergent series by Veronica Roth and watched the movies that have come out and what you thought of the movies? Did the movies do justice to the book? Also did you read the books before or after you watched the movies?
I have read the Divergent series first and watched the movies after, I think that the books are much better than the movies (especially the last movie Allegiant). I do not think that the movies do justice to the books.

:techie-studyinggray:
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I liked the first movie very much actually. I thought it was enjoyable.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

I thought the first movie was pretty good. The second one lost my interest and I didn't watch the third. I do LOVE Theo James as Four though. I recently rewatched the first movie purely to see him again. I think the casting was good. The main issue was that they veered off the plot of the books and the plot was quite tight to begin with. Once you change a bunch of things, you have to change more and more and it just becomes unsustainable. The plot just changes too much in the movies.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html

Post by Archaeoptery »

I read the books before I watched the movies. I have yet to see a movie that does a good job covering the books.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I watched the first movie "Divergent" before I read the books. I enjoyed the movie, but then books tend to have fine little details that movies cannot begin to capture.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

I watched Divergent first. A year later I realised that it was actually based on a book and read the book.
The same way for insurgent. Watched the movie, realised it was a sequel to divergent, found Insurgent, read the book.
But for Allegiant, I've read the book (kind of) but I haven't watched the movie and don't intend to do so.

I really enjoyed the first movie and kind of liked the second one. Obviously, a movie can't portray everything from the book but I felt it was done well.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

The movie covers the main parts, but some things were missing and cut. And, of course, they have to fit into a certain duration of the film. But definitely, the books had much more detail and small details that were missing in the movie. On the second question, first the books and then the film, but still, for me personally, I liked the film more. Personal opinion.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”