Book or Movie?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Zee_mcwanted
Bookshelf Size: 0

Divergent book vs the movie

Post by Zee_mcwanted »

I watched the movie before reading the book (yeah I'm weird🤓)...but I regret it. The movie Divergent is waay too different from the movie and I preferred the movie. The Novel is not bad at all but I totally prefer Tris from the movie than the one from the Book. And the last book (Allegiant) was disturbing, mostly because of the switch up between Tris and Tobias. I think it would've been better if Veronica Ruth didn't make it a Trilogy because after the first book it started being this crazy twisted world that I didn't want to know about, but hey this is my opinion and how I felt, maybe you'll enjoy it☺️
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I watched the film, but refrained from reading the books since a lot of people I knew said the movie was better. I may try starting the first book one of these days though.
raf319

Post by raf319 »

I would say it's a movie because you just watch it but reading books is fun some parts of the movie and the book is quite different so I would prefer watching.
Crazybud
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1237
fav_author_id: 19621

Post by Crazybud »

I usually prefer the books, but in case of Divergent, I loved the movie. Insurgent and Allegiant weren't as good though. In fact Allegiant disappointed me altogether, while the book version of it was my favourite in the trilogy.
"I'd rather die on an adventure, than live standing still"
- Delilah Bard, A Darker Shade of Magic
Becky629

Post by Becky629 »

Book all the way. I always expect too much from the movies and i am always disappointed. Yes the first movie was good, although it left out some important details(no spoilers), but Insurgent and Allegiant were boring. Always read the book before you see the movie. It makes it easier to understand whats really going on in the movies when they leave all the good stuff out. :techie-studyinggray:
Midnightnox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midnightnox.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Midnightnox »

I always make sure I read the book first (if it exists) before watching the movie. I enjoy creating the world within my imagination and as the story develops it feels like it's my story. There are very few films which are comparable to the original book, it's extremely difficult to transpose the atmosphere and thoughts of the lead character into a film. I was slightly disappointed with the Divergent film, the book itself was very good.
Majaliwa Abiba Alice
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiba-alice.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Majaliwa Abiba Alice »

Both but I always find it hard to read the novel after watching the movie.
Majaliwa Abiba Alice
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiba-alice.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Majaliwa Abiba Alice »

I love both, but I never want to read the book after watching the movie and I don't enjoy the movie that much after reading the novel. Movies most times miss out a few details in the novel or the character isn't well portrayed....so, I don't know. Tricky :eusa-think:
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

I love watching book to movie adaptations. I think the first one stayed pretty true to the book. The next two movies strayed from the plot created by Veronica Roth but I did not mind that. I think both versions of the story have merit. I enjoyed both the book and the movie.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I definitely like the book a whole lot better. Much more rounded than the movie is.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I honestly don't know what happened in the last movie. It was a whole new story (???)
I hated the last book so I was totally indifferent.
But the first two - definitely book.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Galideon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galideon.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Galideon »

Both. The books were a little more extended while the movies were easily watched!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I liked both, but the book usually wins out for me which was the case with this one as well.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
KaptainKoy
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 43
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by KaptainKoy »

Books vs. Movies. Usually books win hands down, and sadly in this case it is so. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of movies that upheld the image from the books. I do not feel like the movies made from the Divergent series portrayed the books very well though. Though I never watched them all, I knew better after the first, I have heard very few good reviews from the readers. To each his own, however. Always give it a shot before you just shoot it down.
Gigareads
Favorite Author: Morgan Matson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gigareads.html
Latest Review: The Dream Keepers by Linda Keen
fav_author_id: 4123

Post by Gigareads »

As usual, I preferred the book to the movie. I loved the books (except for the last one, that ending ruined it for me). However, I did enjoy the movies more than I thought I was going to. I really liked the cast, particularly Theo James as Four, I think he is a great actor and that he was spot on with how I pictured Four when reading the books.

When books are adapted to movies they always feel a little rushed to me because they have to fit so much story line into 2 hours or however long the movie is. I think that this is case with this series. The books go more into the thoughts and feelings of the characters which I enjoyed.

I would recommend watching the first movie at least because it has lots of action and is a good film on its on.

I think it is possible to enjoy both the books and the movies if you can think of them separately and take them each for what they are instead of trying to compare them. If you read the books then watch the movies hoping them to be exactly like the books, you will no doubt be disappointed.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”