Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four. Any thoughts

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam

Re: Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four. Any thoughts

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

I really enjoyed the series. Typical dystopian with a young girl taking down the government theme but I did enjoy that there was not a love triangle. Tris was a great female lead, I thought she had morals, convictions and a lot of bravery to do the things she did. Family was important to her and she proved it.
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam
SassHamilton
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SassHamilton »

This is a book series that I had such high hopes for, especially after finishing the first book, Divergent.

The second book, Insurgent, continued the same excitement of Divergent; but it is where I started to pull away. I believe the author, Veronica Roth, is much better at building a world than telling the story set within.

It is amazing that she is able to come up with such an interesting concept at a young age, but in the second book of the series (and especially the third Allegiant), the characters fall flat.

Allegiant was painful for me to get through. No one had ruined the ending for me, but I found myself completely uninterested in finishing it. I pushed through all of the back and forth in Tris & Four's relationship, and got to the controversial ending.

An ending doesn't have to be a perfect, happily ever after, but this one felt as if i worked so hard to get to nothing. I think the struggle to get through the overly angst-ridden beginning, made the ending dull. I felt no hope for the characters remaining at the end, and stopped my husband in his reading of the series.

We do have plans to see the remaining movies... when they release on Netflix.
steinhm
Currently Reading: The Silent Boy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinhm.html
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan

Post by steinhm »

I really liked Divergent, however, I haven't read the other books and I've made people not tell me what happens just so I can when I get the chance and still be surprised. I see a lot of people comparing Divergent/the series to the Hunger Games series and quite a few people who think the Hunger Games is better, but I thought this one was far more interesting.

I thought Divergent sort of provoked some thoughts that the Hunger Games didn't and I felt overall it was less violent, and more psychological warfare, if you will, and I found that much more interesting than a bunch of kids trying to kill each other.

I really loved this book though and I can't wait to read the others!
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan
MissJane
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missjane.html

Post by MissJane »

Divergent really was (and is) one of my favorite dystopian novel series ever! I think the first book in the series is my favorite! Allegiant wasn't the best; it seemed very rushed and, of course, the ending broke my heart! Let me know; did u cry at the end?
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I started reading the series when my kids got the books. I really enjoyed the first two but it started getting tiresome by the third book. I started the fourth, because I really liked Four, but just can't get into it! Has anyone else had that problem?
lcsanjuan
Currently Reading: Peter and the Starcatchers
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by lcsanjuan »

A good friend of mine told me that I had to read the series Divergent. She is now half-way through Allegiant or she already read it (either way, she's not allowed to spoil me the series). Today, the trilogy is on my "Want to Read" List and I hope I like it a lot.
tebo19
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebo19.html
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by tebo19 »

I wasn't very impressed with how the first book was written, I am used to reading better written book like The northern lights but i started to really identify with tris and i loved the plot line. I loved Lynn and Shauna and Uriah in Insurgent, i think they were absolutely brilliant characters and i was not happy when they weren't featured too much in the movies. Alleigant was full of plot twists but i absolutely loved it. I didn't really enjoy four that much, I thought it was interesting but not really worth the money i paid

-- 30 May 2015, 03:35 --
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama
lcsanjuan
Currently Reading: Peter and the Starcatchers
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by lcsanjuan »

tebo19 wrote:I wasn't very impressed with how the first book was written, I am used to reading better written book like The northern lights but i started to really identify with tris and i loved the plot line. I loved Lynn and Shauna and Uriah in Insurgent, i think they were absolutely brilliant characters and i was not happy when they weren't featured too much in the movies. Alleigant was full of plot twists but i absolutely loved it. I didn't really enjoy four that much, I thought it was interesting but not really worth the money i paid

-- 30 May 2015, 03:35 --
How come? I mean, you said you liked the characters and the plot line, doesn't that make it worth?
colemaba
Favorite Author: I can never decide
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21844">the hinger games</a>
Currently Reading: Enders Game
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colemaba.html
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams

Post by colemaba »

I loved the first two, but I didn't particularly care for Allegiant, and not for the obvious reason. I didn't care for it because of the introduction of Four's point of view and the drastic switch of plot in Allegiant. It was unsettling, also I felt like Veronica Roth simply didn't know what to do with Allegiant. I also haven't read Four yet, not sure if I am.
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams
BColeman
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bcoleman.html
Latest Review: "Burn for Home" by Ash Elko

Post by BColeman »

I like the series, but I agree with colemaba.
Latest Review: "Burn for Home" by Ash Elko
kellyanne11
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kellyanne11.html

Post by kellyanne11 »

I read the first and second books but the third felt like a completely different author to me. I could barely finish it and I didn't even bother with the next. Maybe I missed something and I should go back and try reading the next one
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I really enjoyed Divergent. Insurgent was ok for me. I thought it started losing some steam, and I wasn't feeling all the political talk. I must confess that I didn't finish the series and read Allegiant. I didn't finish the Hunger Games, either. Maybe it's just a weird quirk. I tire easily of series. I don't think there have been any series that I've read completely through, actually!

I thought Divergent was unique because of the way the factions were presented. It also had some great action descriptions, and the characters were well-written. I found it to be a pretty quick read, and it was enjoyable enough on its own, without having to go to the next in the series.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
meganxxcooper
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meganxxcooper.html

Post by meganxxcooper »

They were really good, but not a 5 star for some reason. It gripped me, but I quickly lost focus on the topic. I wish I loved it more!
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

I really like Divergent, but that's about it. It took me forever to get through Insurgent, though. I actually had to quit Allegiant less than halfway through because I just really disliked it. That said, I didn't even consider reading Four.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
zjones99
Favorite Author: John Green
Currently Reading: Binge
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjones99.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by zjones99 »

I think that the series was strong as a whole, but there were plenty of weak areas where it was hard to continue. Divergent and Four were definitely the best books for me in the series, Divergent was a really strong opening book, and Four was a really cool look at all of the events through Tobias' eyes. Insurgent was the next best because it had a cool story line with all of the simulations and Tobias meeting his mom, but other than that it was not very strong. And then there was Allegiant. I was all excited and ready to zoom right through the book and love it, but then a month later I am still trying to get through it. I do not really know what it was, but I just got bored with it.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”