Does the bad always creep back up?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Re: Does the bad always creep back up?

Post by rumik »

I think most human beings are a mixture of bad and good, and that is just human nature. So yes, the bad creeps up, but the good is still there as well.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I agree with Natalie, though an example I'm going to pull is from the Hunger Games and not Divergent. It's when Katniss realizes that Alma Coin was repeating the same cycle that kicked off the Hunger Games 75 years prior and killed her to prevent that (and also for revenge).
Balena
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balena.html
Latest Review: Black Beach by Olivia Rana

Post by Balena »

I believe that Tris' mother is correct in saying this. We can be the best that we want to be, but we cannot forget our past and make it vanish; that is just the way that the human brain and memory works.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

In almost every book I've read or even taking from history, every era of peace is followed by a period of war. Generally, the more longstanding the peace the bloodier the battles. I think that speaks for itself.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

People are always attracted to the idea of doing bad. A person might be compelled to cheat, lie, swear, and so on. No matter how good a person is, they will have a few bad days.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I think it’s like Yin/Yang. There is a little darkness in the light and some light in the dark.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

There's a potential for good and a potential for bad in all of us. It's the choices we make. As a whole though, I agree with the statement. Bad people in positions of influence can poison the good people.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I think the idea of "bad always creeps back in" assumes that they bad ever left. That there can ever be a time when there is no bad in humanity. I think this idea is flawed. I believe there will always be bad.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I agree with Tris's mom. You can't be the good guy forever. I think she means that something horrible is going to happen to you and that's going to affect your emotions, mind, and soul. It'll shape your thoughts and make them villainous.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

I wholeheartedly agree. This reminds me of a recently read Biblical fiction titled Killing Abel. It narrates the events leading up to the first sin, the killing of Abel by Caine. What it tries to metaphorically convey is that human nature is inherently chaotic.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

That’s a difficult question, I think all people have the capacity for good or bad. What is developed depends on the environment.
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

With much grief, yes, I agree. If one studies the documented human history, one can't help but notice a trend similar to that of a ECG. There can be extended period of relative quiet, but chaos eventually rears it's ugly head up and disturbs it.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I don't think this is true. I am not saying that people don't make mistakes or that there aren't bad people out there, but there are many good people. There are people that are kind and just want the world around them to be good and positive. Life though is not perfect. We are thrown curveballs, and this can affect our actions. It's just a matter of how we handle those curveballs that shape our character.
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Krishi Shah »

I think about this line in specific contexts more than general contexts sometimes. For instance, did Marcus truly improve and want to better to Four?
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

Yes, there is always a balance. Everytime I'm doing good with scheduled work, the bad habits creep in and leave me depressed. Everyone has their bad that they actively choose not to follow.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”