Does the bad always creep back up?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
gervaisk
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gervaisk.html

Re: Does the bad always creep back up?

Post by gervaisk »

I don't agree with this statement. Just because you were bad doesn't mean you can't change. It's like saying once a drunk always a drunk. This statement is false for many. When people truly want to change they can. Therefor I think if someone really wants the bad to stay away, they can do it.
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

Since it was Tris's mom, I think she was talking, as an Abegnation woman, about selfishness. If by bad she means selfishness, then I have to agree. People always have selfish urges, which are natural instincts from birth. Even babies will cry to be fed or have their diapers changed. And those natural instincts do stay, no matter how much we deny them.
So to be Abegnation would be a constant battle against the instinct to benefit oneself instead of others. And that's a very simple instinct-it could mean leaving a boring conversation or interrupting someone or taking the last piece of pizza. I can't deny that that type of selfishness and bad always returns to poison one's actions. Though, a certain amount of it isn't poison. You still do need to take care of yourself.
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

I have mixed feelings about this one. The pessimist in me wants to immediately agree, but at the same time, I'm one of those people who tends to think the best of (most) others even when everything points towards them being pretty terrible.

The "bad" might always creep up, but whether it's intentional or not is something else entirely.

As someone else said, "bad" does not necessarily mean criminal or cruel behavior. It might simple mean judging others inwardly, self-doubt, suspicion, prejudice, etc... These are things that we all must consciously fight against, and I don't think there is anyone who does not struggle with this.
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

No, I don't think that I do agree. Although I know that I haunted past can sometimes come back to haunt you again, I think that you can achieve enough will power to conquer any issue. There are definitely ways ignore the bad and focus on the good. It can only work though if people are willing to.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

Human nature creeps back in. Sometimes people - whether desire or desperation - will do things they would not normally do. Life is not always black and white and despite our best intentions, sometimes bad things happen. No society will ever be perfect.
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam
steinhm
Currently Reading: The Silent Boy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinhm.html
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan

Post by steinhm »

I partly agree and partly disagree. I think it's an incredibly gray area and all humans are partly good but also partly bad-- it's just part of being human. Obviously, there are people who are "worse" and the bad creeps in more so, but I don't think it's fair to say humans as a whole can't be good.

Just because people may have a bit of bad doesn't mean humanity is bad as a whole. So I agree because ultimately everyone has a bit of bad that creeps in every now and then but I disagree because not all of humanity is bad and can or should be categorized like that.

But obviously it's a very gray area.

-- 02 Apr 2015, 07:45 --

I partly agree and partly disagree. I think it's an incredibly gray area and all humans are partly good but also partly bad-- it's just part of being human. Obviously, there are people who are "worse" and the bad creeps in more so, but I don't think it's fair to say humans as a whole can't be good.

Just because people may have a bit of bad doesn't mean humanity is bad as a whole. So I agree because ultimately everyone has a bit of bad that creeps in every now and then but I disagree because not all of humanity is bad and can or should be categorized like that.

But obviously it's a very gray area.
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan
MissJane
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missjane.html

Post by MissJane »

I do agree with this....and I don't. It is true, humans are not good by nature. But that doesn't mean a person can't be good! Mistakes don't make a person who they are...
Jamie fred84
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamie-fred84.html
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt

Post by Jamie fred84 »

We are born as sinners, we are bound to do bad at some point. Whether it be just a slight rebellious streak, lying to your parents to sneak out with your friends or full on criminal robbing banks at gunpoint we will all mess up somewhere.
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Joseph Addison
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I agree. Especially if you think of it in terms of selfishness. It's hard to stop being selfish and self-centered and if you don't continually think about it then it will creep back up.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Mjelmer
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjelmer.html

Post by Mjelmer »

I would have to say I agree also. I think everyone struggles on a daily basis striving to do what's right. It's only natural, we are all human!
abasto123
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abasto123.html

Post by abasto123 »

I believe whether we mean for it to or not, bad does come back from time to time.
BColeman
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bcoleman.html
Latest Review: "Burn for Home" by Ash Elko

Post by BColeman »

As humans we are all flawed, so I do agree. We just have to keep fight the bad.
Latest Review: "Burn for Home" by Ash Elko
meganxxcooper
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meganxxcooper.html

Post by meganxxcooper »

I think to a point that this is true, but it isn't really healthy to think that negatively. The world is bad, but not that horrible.
Crimsonsky 749
Favorite Author: John Flanagan
Currently Reading: Artemis fowl
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crimsonsky-749.html
Latest Review: "Salvation's Dawn" by Joe Jackson
fav_author_id: 4299

Post by Crimsonsky 749 »

GKCfan wrote:This reflects a religious view of original sin– people are always susceptible to wrongdoing, which is why being a "good" person isn't just a simple state of being, it's a status that one has to continually strive to achieve.
I completely agree, to be good you can't just be like "Oh I helped an old lady carry groceries today so I'm good! Okay back to killing people!" It doesn't work that way you have to constantly try to be good. Doing one good act then doing several bad ones does not make you good. Just like doing one bad act by accident after doing several good ones doesn't make you bad.
Sarcasm: The ability to insult idiots without them realising it.
Quote unknown.
Stop waiting for Prince Charming. Get out and find him. The poor idiot may be stuck in a tree or something.
Quote unknown.
Latest Review: "Salvation's Dawn" by Joe Jackson
zjones99
Favorite Author: John Green
Currently Reading: Binge
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjones99.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by zjones99 »

I believe that this is true for some and false for others. There are plenty of people who are kind and good but then they do something really wrong and keep on that track until the next loop. There are other people however who almost always do the right thing, and if they do something bad they make up for it and move on.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”