Being fearless versus learning to control your fears?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Re: Being fearless versus learning to control your fears?

Post by Barbara Larkin »

I think being fearless would be one heck of a thing. Learning to control your fear seems more feasible. Overcoming one's phobias, to be plain.
Edna016
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Edna016 »

In this world we live in there's so many things you could be scared of. What's in the dark, insects, snkaes , or when you used to get in trouble in your house and you knew your mom was going to get you. Ok, that one was a bit specific haha but it was sometimes true. I think fearless is when you still have fears BUT you don't let it control you. Being able to control your fears is when you can deal with your fears and manage them in a way that makes it seem you're fearless. That might be the other way around though.
gelli_baranda
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gelli-baranda.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by gelli_baranda »

I like the comparison between fearless and learning to control your fears; however, I believe there's thin line of difference between the two- depending on the context. Fearless can be taken in a negative way; learning to control your fear requireless discipline.
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I don't think they are the same. Being fearless is similar to being brave. Having no fear can be perceived as being stupid. (in my opinion)
Having no fear of going to war for example. There is no motivation, no nothing. But being fearless? It's brave.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
rnbwrhiannon3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rnbwrhiannon3.html

Post by rnbwrhiannon3 »

I don't believe that anyone is ever truly "fearless" because to be fearless means that you don't have that inherent reaction to be frightened of what could be a danger to you and it puts you in risky situations. Someone who has a survival instinct would not be 100 percent fearless. Anyone who states that they have no fears is boasting and pumping themselves up to look "larger than life" to others.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

The only thing fearless will remind me of is when sam had no soul on supernatural seasons. Some fears are easier to hand than others. Mine I managed to control time to time. Being completely fearless is not possibly.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I don't believe it possible to be without any fears. We all learn to control our fears so they don't paralyse us. I agree that acting despite the fears, that's courage.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

I don't think it's possible to be truly fearless. Controlling fears is when you recognise your fear but don't let it stop you from doing something you want.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I'll address the part about half of bravery being perspective. I think she means that our perspective defines what we think of as brave. One person might see not crying as brave but another might view being open with your feelings as brave. So until you figure out what you truly believe is bravery you will not be able to be brave.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

Fearlessness is a character attribute according to me, whereas conquering one's fears is something that is dependent on one's actions. It's usually a slow process that builds on the cumulative experiences of that person.

:tiphat:
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

I think to be fearless you have to embrace being afraid and not let it rule you.Sort of a catch 22.
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

Fearlessness comes with the personality of certain people. It's a character trait, and not everyone posseses it. However, controlling fear is something that can be acquired as a trait. One such example is the rigorous training and screening process of the special forces around the world.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I do think there is a difference between being fearless and controlling your fears. Being fearless could also be seen as being reckless. So this just depends on what you are doing. Controlling your fears though I would say is a good thing. It is not good to let fear control your life. Therefore, controlling your fears means adding positive things to your life or speaking and thinking positive things in order to push that fear down.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Scott wrote: 03 Jun 2014, 19:06 The following discussion question was included in some copies of the June book of the month, Divergent by Veronica Roth.

What is the difference between being fearless and learning to control your fears? Do you believe anyone can be truly fearless? What does Tris mean when she says that “half of bravery is perspective” (p. 458)?
Being fearless does not mean being thoughtful and wise. Fearless is just an action and it can be careless. Learning to control your fears sounds more thoughtful. You don't dismiss the fear as some times it can be real. But you don't let it control your judgement. You know when to ignore them and when not to.
Tris is right when she says half of bravery is perspective. Ones perspective of the situation can determine how brave they feel.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

Hola2Cora wrote: 03 Jun 2014, 23:25 I think the difference between fearless and learning to control your fears is dependent upon maturity, experience, and perspective. Fearless implies an attitude of confidence. That is learned once someone has experienced and matured through facing their fears. Facing fears is a process in which people learn to control their fears. Once you have taken control of your thoughts concerning a fear, then that fear has no more hold on you. Once you change your perspective on a fear, it will no longer have a hold on you. For instance, Four has a fear of heights. However, his perspective of climbing a ferris wheel to protect Tris from falling kept his fear from paralyzing him, so he was able to control his fear. Tris running back into Dauntless headquarters when everyone was still under the attack serum was fearless, because she faced the fear head on with confidence that she was going to accomplish a goal regardless of the circumstances. Her accomplishing her goal of stopping the attack, through facing her fear of being killed by Four was accomplished through her changing her perspective on the situation, and figuring out how to save herself and Four, thus creating bravery on her part. Therefore I think one becomes fearless through learning how to control their fears through changing their perspective.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”