Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Bmxmom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Post by Bmxmom »

I do think Tris made the right faction choice. I believe she always had the heart of a dauntless. She chose to be true to herself. In making the choice to become dauntless she found herself in a way she never would have if she stayed Abnegation. By becoming Dauntless she had to bring her true self to the surface. She was always strong, opinionated, and free willed. She was also selfless and very intelligent. She had to hide who she was in Abnegation.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

In the long run, it's a dang good thing she did make that choice, and it was definitely the right thing to do! If if wasn't for the major story, and she just lived a "normal" life, I'd still say she did... As others pointed out, she would have felt confined and ever-curious about Dauntless, and life just sucks when you always wonder "what if?"
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I definitely think Tris makes the right faction choice. She is true to herself when she chooses Dauntless. If she stayed with her parents, she never would have been happy. She makes the right move for herself.

If Tris had chosen differently, she would not have had such a hard time hiding that she was Divergent. She could have stayed in Abnegation, but she would never have been aware of what Erudite was planning, so she would have died with her parents. She would never have been a part of a revolution, and she is vital to that entire plot line.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Tris chose the factions that were available to her, which were Dauntless and Abnegation. Her choice made her a lot stronger and able to make her own decisions. She wanted to be free and to be her own person. She wanted to be brave. Even though Dauntless suited her well, I think she should would have been safer in Abnegation. People were hunting Divergents, and it just seems like she would have been able to hide better in Abnegation. That probably would have been the choice that I would have made in her situation, but if Tris had made that choice then we wouldn't have a story. Even though I wouldn't have went with Dauntless, Tris would never have met any of her friends, Tobias, or had the amount of courage that she possessed by joining Dauntless. In my opinion, it did end up making her a better person.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
glassfable5
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glassfable5.html

Post by glassfable5 »

Tris seemed to make the right choice of joining Dauntless, in my opinion. She grew as a person there and became stronger and smarter than she was prior. She learned a lot about herself that she could never do when she was in abnegation, which was all about being selfless. Being in Dauntless also prepared her for the coming uprising. She probably would have been doomed otherwise had she picked anywhere else.
kalynn briles-moore
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalynn-briles-moore.html

Post by kalynn briles-moore »

its like COLLEGE I think it doesn't matter if she made the right choice or not its like choosing which college to go to or not which college affects the rest of your life so does this her life could be changed 100 different ways for each faction this is just the one we saw
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

I think Dauntless was the only real choice for Tris where she could be herself and do what she wanted to do to change the society. She would have felt restricted in other factions.
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam
steinhm
Currently Reading: The Silent Boy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinhm.html
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan

Post by steinhm »

I do think Tris made the right faction choice. No one would ever enter a faction entirely prepared for what was to come, unless you were born into that faction and stayed there. I think Tris at first had some struggles adjusting but ultimately made the right choice because it made her stronger and when she gained faith in herself that's when she started to feel like she belonged.

I don't think she would have fit as well in the other factions. If you think of it like percentages, dauntless was a marginally higher percentage of a better fit than the other factions would have been for her. Tris is a strong, brave woman who can control and face her fears, and someone like that belongs and dauntless.
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan
MissJane
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missjane.html

Post by MissJane »

I do think that Tris made the right choice choosing Dauntless. Dauntless allowed her to explore and discover new parts of herself, parts she would not have uncovered had she gone with any other faction. She learned to have faith in herself and what it means to be truly fearless. In Dauntless, she learned to control and hone her divergent skills; something she might not have been able to do in any other faction.

In addition to this, Tris was able to play a critical role in the changing of society because she was in this faction. The Erudite directly affiliated with the Dauntless and through this, Tris was able to fight them and learn more abut them. Had she chosen another faction, the story just would not take place.

And to top that all off, if she hadn't chosen Dauntless, she would have never met her future boyfriend Four! :lol:
reading_4ever

Post by reading_4ever »

I think Tris couldn't have made a better choice. She was confined in Abnegation and knew she didn't belong. If she had stayed she would have live out her life regretting her decision.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

She obviously didn't belong in Abnegation but I don't think Dauntless is a good faction for anyone lol....they're a bit crazy. It makes for a fun story though so it was a good move on the author's part.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Beth-j
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-j.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Beth-j »

After meeting and getting to know Tris through the book, I can't imagine her anywhere else. She chose the right faction for herself.
bibliophile14

Post by bibliophile14 »

Definitely. I try not to dwell on this question to much while reading the books because I trust that she made the right decision for herself. Even if she hadn't statistically been mostly dauntless, and even though she may have struggled with the faction at times, it strengthened her as a person. It was the decision that she mentally, and physically, had to make for her own self.
amazondanni
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amazondanni.html
Latest Review: "Shadow's Kiss" by Adria Eustis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by amazondanni »

Of course she made the right choice. She may have been divergent, but to become a guardian of those in need, which was the strongest attribute to her character, she needed the skills and foundation that only Dauntless could provide. She was already selfless enough and ready to sacrifice anything necessary to protect those who needed it. Smart enough to reason through any problems or snags in her plans and execution in search of the truth which she felt obligated to bring into the light. All she needed was to learn how to physically protect herself and others, and she was obviously brave enough to try. Her end goal seemed to be for peace too I might add. She had the innate ability for all (obviously) she just needed the skills taught to her for the execution. But that's just one persons opinion.
Latest Review: "Shadow's Kiss" by Adria Eustis
tracy19
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy19.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh

Post by tracy19 »

I think she definitely made the right, she came out of her shell and learned how to stand up for herself, she became a stronger person. I think if she chose another faction she would have stayed scared and meek.
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”