Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Post by Browneh »

She needed a drastic change from what she previously knew. I feel that it would be easiest to hide in Dauntless as a divergent. Although I do find it hard to believe that people can be categorized so simply.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I think Tris would have been stifled in any other faction. She felt so hard fitting in at Abnegation that Amity was definitely out of the question and maybe even Candor. I think her only real choices were Erudite and Dauntless, though she wouldn't have chosen the former because of her father's obvious aversion to them. From the start you could see that she longed to be a part of Dauntless and I felt it opened her eyes more than any other faction would or could.
banevius
Currently Reading: Bones and the Treasure Map
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-banevius.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by banevius »

Originally, no, I don't think she made the right choice. I think originally, she should've chosen Amity or Abnegation. Over time; however, she showed that she was driven to become something completely different than what she started out as. So in the end, I think she made the right choice.

Her initiation changed her into becoming something completely different than what she was used to. She was driven to become Dauntless. I don't think she would've change very much if she'd chosen one of the other factions:

Abnegation: she would've fit in since it was what she was used to, but it wouldn't have brought about any changes in her
Amity: she would've fit in, but it wouldn't have brought about any big changes in her
Erudite: she wouldn't have chosen because she wouldn't have fit in
Candor: she wouldn't have chosen because she wouldn't have fit in
GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1720
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by GiselleBengochea »

:lol: I think that Tris had made the appropriate decision to join the Dauntless faction. As a matter of fact, she fit in perfectly as a member of this new faction, then when she was a member of Abnegation. I believe this switch prepared her for the anarchy that was to come.
Balena
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balena.html
Latest Review: Black Beach by Olivia Rana

Post by Balena »

Dauntless shaped Tris into who she is. Seeing her in Abnegation definitely made her the same as her family, and you could easily see her growth and independence when she came into Dauntless. It suited her, so she did make the correct choice.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Yes! Otherwise the story would have been lame.
RoyTui
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RoyTui »

Tris definitely made the right choice . Her innate virtue of being selfless did require an enormous amount of bravery too . Her selfless nature was amalgamated with her principle and motive to lead well towards triumph over evil. Dauntless honed her deep-seated courage and bravery and the wisdom that accentuates bravery and transformed her into the person that she was always meant to be
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

When Tris was choosing her factions her thoughts were almost like, "Finally!" I think she was longing for a change from how she grew up and this was the best way she could do it.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I believe she chose based on what she felt most comfortable with.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Athira MG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athira-mg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Athira MG »

Tris made the best choice !! She knew that she wasn't a true Abnegation and so being Dauntless was the best possible decision she made.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I agree that Tris made the right choice in which faction she really belonged.
My first impression of her was that she was unpredictable. Later, I realized she was impulsive, or better yet, reckless.
Her initiation with fellow Dauntless newbies was very liberating to her, and I can tell she was happier in that faction. Erudite has a very controlled environment, so she would be more "stiff" than ever if she stayed there instead.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Tris made the best choice choosing Dauntless. She needed to be strong. I haven't even imagined her choosing any other faction, because I don't see her anywhere else.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

Tris made the right choice. I personally feel like she would never have been comfortable in any other faction. Dauntless made her stronger and more able. Dauntless made Tris grow up as a person and was possibly the only place where she felt like she belonged.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Scott wrote: 03 Jun 2014, 19:05 The following discussion question was included in some copies of the June book of the month, Divergent by Veronica Roth.

How does initiation change and transform Tris? Do you think she made the right faction choice? How do you think she might have changed if she had chosen one of the other factions?
I think she didn choose the right faction cause she ended up meeting four but in more of a personal matter to her, I think it benefited her more cause she got to build her strength and not loose her herself that's why they couldn't control her, which is great, otherwise she would have been a toy in the hands of others
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I believe that there can be no wrong faction choice, even if one did not get that in their test. I think factions are more about what you want to pursue rather than about what you already are. So I think she picked right.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”