Is it selfish of Tris to crave victory or is it brave?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Is it selfish of Tris to crave victory or is it brave?

Post by Scott »

The following discussion question was included in some copies of the June book of the month, Divergent by Veronica Roth.

During initiation, is it selfish of Tris to crave victory, or is it brave? Do Tris’s friends have a right to be jealous when she’s ranked above them? If you were Tris, would you forgive them for their reactions?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Alexsandra
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexsandra.html

Post by Alexsandra »

Maybe a little bit selfish and a little bit more brave and who can blame her considering where she came from. She came from a world where she had to be totally selfless and now is free to deal with thing's on her own terms. She was scared of becoming factionless and had no choice but to compete and do the best she could do to survive initiation. No not selfish but determined to make it and not let them get to her. No they should not have been jealous of her because she ranked higher then them but this is a competition to see who will stay and have a future and who will become factionless and doomed for life so I can understand it to a point. I would believe I could forgive some much easier then others.
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

I think it's selfish, but not in a bad way -- it's just competitive, and in this case, also a question of survival of the fittest. I don't think craving victory has anything to do with bravery.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I think it was only natural for her to crave victory. It was kind of brave because she knew that by winning she would make enemies. I can understand her friends up to a point, but real friends wouldn't act like that. She was right to forgive them in the end since they were sorry about their behavior.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
LittleWilma
Favorite Author: Jeff Melton
Favorite Book: Dark Destiny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlewilma.html

Post by LittleWilma »

It is human nature to crave victory. Selflessness had no room in Dauntless. You were supposed to do your best, that was part of being Dauntless. Jealousy is also a part of human nature, whether it is right or wrong. She was right to forgive them.
"I like liquor — its taste and its effects — and that is just the reason why I never drink it."
-Stonewall Jackson
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I definitely don't think Tris was selfish for craving victory. Especially for the Dauntless faction, you need to be the best and compete to stay in, so striving for victory is something that a member of Dauntless needs to do. I can understand the jealousy and fear her friends had because it is natural to be jealous of someone who is ranked very high and with that comes the fear that they could be kicked out and become factionless. However, I think what Al did was unforgivable. He got so insecure and jealous to the point that he was willing to kill Tris in order to still stay in competition. I think her other friends like Christina are worth forgiving, but not Al.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

I don't think she was selfish. She had a lot more to prove than some of the other initiates. And for Dauntless, I think she instinctively knew that she had better be REALLY good and not just passable. And for that faction, competitiveness is a must.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
that_bek_girl
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: And then there were none
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-bek-girl.html
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by that_bek_girl »

I believe it was more courage than selfishness.....i mean, Who doesn't want victory? But going up against friends, and having to prove yourself on a higher level? I think she had a lot to lose and maybe fear of loss fueled the courage. I don't know if her friends had a right, per say, to be jealous, but its human nature to do so. And in her shoes, I probably would have chosen forgiveness.
You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I think craving victory is natural. If Tris had chosen to abandon initiation so that another could qualify, she also gives up any chance of serving the community as a Dauntless member. Part of the premise of the faction system is to position different types of people to the areas where they can contribute best to the whole. How does dropping out help anyone in the long run? Therefore I would argue that trying her hardest is both right and natural. Of course, if Tris had resorted to the unethical to achieve her victory (like stabbing people in the eye, for example) she would have then be in blatant violation of both principles of selflessness and bravery.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

It is selfish,but being selfish doesn't negate her from being brave.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
sybil1reader
Favorite Author: All crime authors
Favorite Book: Too Many to name
Currently Reading: CJ Lyons
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sybil1reader.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by sybil1reader »

I believe that Tris had a goal in mind when she began initiation and that was to be among the best so that she could pick the job she wanted. Being among the best requires winning and winning sometimes requires bravery. She was also taught to be selfless and I think that had something to do with her brave acts. Her friends could have behaved differently, but I had to stop and remember that they were young teens.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
KasMorin
Currently Reading: Silent Echo
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasmorin.html
2024 Reading Goal: 964
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by KasMorin »

I think it's a little bit of both.

She was raised to not put herself above others. Abnegation abhors selfish behavior. So for Tris to finally look inside herself for what she wants and pursue something that might upset others (be selfish) is incredibly brave.
Snaveenaid10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snaveenaid10.html

Post by Snaveenaid10 »

It's a great depiction of our world today how we strive to be the best. We want the most money, the most expensive car, the biggest house, etc. Is it selfish? It depends. The Google definition of selfishness is, "(of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure". So is Tris selfish for wanting victory? I think not but only because she still cared for her friends.
Inishowen_Cailin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inishowen-cailin.html

Post by Inishowen_Cailin »

It was brave to crave victory because it meant survival. Tris was going to survive no matter what she had to do even though the odds were stacked against her, in the eyes of her peers.
Darling_Reads
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darling-reads.html
Latest Review: "Emmie of Indianapolis" by Kay Castaneda
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by Darling_Reads »

I think being a bit selfish and brave at the same time was something Tris struggled with. Growing up in the sector that she did she was always taught to be selfless and seeking to beat others makes you exactly the opposite of that. She was going against what she was taught to do as a child. With the way Dauntless initiation works she had to be brave by putting aside the tiny voice in her head that told her this was not how she was raised and be a little selfish. Although she knew she couldn't put others before herself at all times she still was not used to this way of thinking all of the time. Seeking the victory over others for her was an act of bravery.
Latest Review: "Emmie of Indianapolis" by Kay Castaneda

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”