Government run only by members of Abnegation?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Re: Government run only by members of Abnegation?

Post by jvez » 22 Apr 2018, 06:43

A government run by the abnegation may seem idealistic, but it will also lead to various complications. They are indeed humble and kind, but in reality, when it comes to politics, I don't think humility would suffice. They would still need the help and support of the other factions, and I don't any of the other factions, especially the Erudites, would bow down just like that. I think it's best if people elect a ruling party instead, composed of members from different factions.

dorebri2020
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 133
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by dorebri2020 » 09 Jul 2019, 09:28

I do believe that the other factions should be involved in a governmental system, but I do think that Abnegation should lead the group. With all factions being involved, there would be a good balance between all the necessary traits. As for knowledge being corruptive, I believe that this is only true in some cases. More knowledge can lead to a will for power, but it can also lead to tools and advancements that can help others. Therefore, I don´t think it is all bad.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D

rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: The smell of wet bricks by Chia parvizpur

Post by rumik » 20 Aug 2019, 11:57

It's not a bad idea to have those that are naturally the most selfless in charge of the government, which is usually not run by selfless people. But others also deserve a chance I'd say.

Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by Atara Miles » 28 Sep 2019, 18:07

Since it came down to it, Abnegation really was the best choice for a ruling faction, though I still think each faction should have been given a spot to balance it out. Abnegation is selfless, so out of the five they had more of a positive implication and would be less rash when making city decisions.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”