What do you make of "Faction Before Blood"?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
dhaller
Currently Reading: The Moral Arc
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaller.html
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson

Re: What do you make of "Faction Before Blood"?

Post by dhaller »

doyle5 wrote:Its a mind control tactic. If you say something enough to someone then the average person will believe it. You see this a lot among states, for instance, Texas pride, Oregonians, Californians.
I agree completely. I think it's also worth mentioning that there's a genetic argument for siding with your blood - there is something to altruism from a gene's point of view, after all. "Factions" remind me more of the dystopian idea of raising children without their parents, which, if I recall correctly, hasn't ever worked out well for anyone in real life.
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

In my book, family always comes first. I don't like the idea that if you choose to do something different than your family, you can't have anything to do with them. That just doesn't fly with me.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
hamlijen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hamlijen »

I was a changling child born into a family of athletic, fearless, Dauntless. Books have always been my refuge, and learning my joy. Saying sports intimidate me is an understatement. Though they loved me and always supported me, my family seemed vaguely confused by my presence. Sometimes I wondered if there had been a mixup at the hospital, and my real family was out there searching for me. The concept that I could decide where I truly belong would have been an amazing comfort to my teenage self.
Raven Potter
Currently Reading: The 5th Wave
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raven-potter.html

Post by Raven Potter »

I believe "faction before blood" put a huge twist on the Abnegation. They are supposed to be selfless. What about their children and families? Especially knowing how selfless Tris was before the aptitude test. It took all she had to make the choice that was best for her.
Shadowhunter123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadowhunter123.html

Post by Shadowhunter123 »

In my opinion, people should have the choice as to whether their faction or blood is the priority over the other because, while some, like Tobias, grew up in an abusive family environment, might choose their factions first, Tris was determined to protect her family despite their struggles with both her and Caleb leaving Abnegation.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

To me, faction before blood is really something they say to keep people true to their faction. If you put your family over the faction you are matched with, you could possibly turn against your faction, and result in being "factionless." For the books sense, it's really best to remain true to your faction.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

I don't agree with "Faction Before Blood". I feel that family should always be number one. Having factions being placed before blood means that once you have chosen a faction, it could possibly mean abandoning your family members forever and not seeing them again. (Except Visiting Day)
"Faction Before Blood" is similar to "Water is thicker than Blood", which is basically the opposite of "Blood is Thicker than water". Did that make any sense?
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
George30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-george30.html

Post by George30 »

Its a truth that we dont really like. Factions before blood. Its like when you have a job. You spend more time in your job than with your family. And when told to choose we cant let go of our jobs because, well, we'll starve. Its same with having a group of friends. Or simply ourselves. We would choose to save ourselves. Thats why we'd rather spend the weekend for ourselves than going home to visit family. There will always be confict within ourselves but most of the time we choose ourselves. Im not saying that we're all like this, but, frankly, most of us are.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I feel like it would depend on the person. Unfortunately, sometimes families are not perfect, and might even be toxic for the people involved. In that case, faction before blood would make sense. The family member could find a place where they feel accepted and part of something, instead of feeling out of place and possibly even unwanted. My family is loud where as I am quiet and we don't really have too many of the same interests, but if we lived in this world of factions I wouldn't be keen on choosing a different faction and never seeing them again. That seems a little too harsh for some situations.
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

The idea that your chosen faction comes before your family is essential to maintaining the faction system that has been created. It keeps people from diverting from the mold that they should fit within a given faction. It also creates barriers between factions by reducing communication and relationships.

Trying to apply this concept to modern American society as a whole doesn't really work, at least not in the same way that it does in the books. You might see a similar mentality in gangs, for example. In some areas it is more than frowned upon to associate with members of other gangs, especially rival gangs. Members are often punished or killed for violating this expectation.

I think that modern America places more emphasis on maintaining blood relations, regardless of your chosen path. However, I think this emphasis has decreased over time. It used to be that families stayed together through generations, often having multiple generations in a single home. Children were expected to take care of their parents as the aged, stay close to home, etc. Over time, our society has encouraged a position on pursuing your own dreams and "leaving the nest". More children move away from home at an earlier age and oftentimes move far away from their parents. Marriage doesn't always represent a uniting of families, like it used to. It is almost a bragging right to marry someone that your parents do not agree with (Romeo & Juliet for example). Love comes before family. People are encouraged to think more about themselves than their families than they used to be, which supports the idea of "faction before blood", except the new commitment is to yourself.
Journey beyond the jacket.
Felica_the_great
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felica-the-great.html

Post by Felica_the_great »

I think the very idea behind the factions comes from today's society!

It's what we have all struggled with at some point or another since the dawn of time.
You yourself as a person have ideas, veiws, opinions!!!
Your family wants you to think and act one way.
You are torn between the loyalty to your blood, and roots, and becoming your own person and standing by what you believe in.
I think this series illustrates that perfectly.
At some point in all our lives we are forced to choose between what we have always known and loved... What is safe if you will. And what we think and desire to become.
Life. Take the leap. Sometimes you find new family who will never replace what was but show you it's okay to be you. Even if you crash and burn sometimes.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

I think family comes 1st. so what ever and who ever you consider family is what comes 1st
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Scott wrote:The following discussion question was included in some copies of the June book of the month, Divergent by Veronica Roth.

How does the idea of “faction before blood” come into play throughout the book? Do you think this idea has a place in today’s society, or is it contrary to what most people believe? In our society, what ideas and beliefs are people loyal to in the way Tris’s society is loyal to the concept of the factions?
"Faction before blood" comes in to play throughout the book, but first surfaces as Tris is confronted with the choice of faction. She has been tested and has been exploring the idea of other factions as she watches them and considers her own choice. When it comes down to it and she has to choose, that moment of indecision occurs. Should she choose her own faction and remain with her family or should she branch out? It takes courage to make the choice to join a different faction, but Tris goes with her gut a makes the choice to leave the familiar and join Dauntless. Continued issues arise as Tris realizes that her original faction is being threatened and she can't help but worry for her parents. Do those blood ties really die? In today's society, I do not see very many "faction before blood" situations arising. Some examples that might qualify would be the influence of gangs on their members. Once a person joins a gang, they become the person's "family". I have not been exposed personally to individuals who are in gangs, but have seen documentaries about the life they lead. It seems that loyalty to the gang precedes any other loyalties. Cults might be another example. People who join a cult often sever ties to family.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I believe that 'faction before blood' means that one should think of your principles and passion and not blindly follow the family. This does not mean not upholding family values, but rather branching out according to your interests!
JFalco97
Currently Reading: Shadow Prince
Bookshelf Size: 49

Post by JFalco97 »

I agree that the saying faction before blood is a great controlling tactic, but I also believe hat for some it would mean more than that. For example Tobias, who grew up in a terrible environment, might have, at least before Tris came along and junpstarted change, that his faction meant more to him than his own blood relatives. Could you blame him? But at the same time, I would say that the saying is too narrow, because family is so very important. It should be a matter of personal choice, rather than overall rule.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”