What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Raven Potter
Currently Reading: The 5th Wave
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raven-potter.html

Re: What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Post by Raven Potter »

I feel like my Fam, based on values and views, would be Dauntless. I would probably choose Erudite because I am a nerd. Despite all of their issues and their causing so many problems, I could outsmart them all and save the world! (JK lolling I'm not Einstein) xD but I would def choose Erudite. I'm also a scaredy cat and I'm terrified of heights. I could never jump off a building while being held up by people only ??? As for making the decision so young: I would never be able to handle the stress. I deal with enough now...
KailySue
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kailysue.html

Post by KailySue »

I really am not sure. My parents are so different I can't see them being in the same faction. My mother would be factionless but born Erudite and my father is Erudite. Maybe I was born before she became factionless? I would have trouble choosing between Candor and Dauntless but would maybe pick Dauntless because I've always considered myself brave.
Laurencbosch
Currently Reading: Brisingr
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurencbosch.html
Latest Review: "Fleeing Eden" by Trisha M. Wilson

Post by Laurencbosch »

My mother would probably have been Abnegation and my father Candor or Erudite. So I don't know what I would have been born. I would guess I would be from either Candor or Erudite but it's really hard to figure out for me because my parents have very different values. At sixteen I probably would have chosen Erudite. As much as I dislike the Erudite in this book, I would without a doubt be a part of that faction.
Latest Review: "Fleeing Eden" by Trisha M. Wilson
TracyW
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracyw.html

Post by TracyW »

Thinking back to when I was 16 years old I believe my family would have been Abnegation. I was raised in a very conservative Christian home. We always tried to place others before ourselves and to reach out to those in need. I love my family and my childhood growing up but I am thankful for the overall changes in my entire family and myself personally. I believe there needs to be a good balance in our lives to help us grow into our full potential.

At the age of 16 I would have chosen Dauntless (I know this sounds silly considering the book plot.) I enjoyed adventure which is why I was the first one of my immediate family to leave home after graduation and go to college. I had a few wild years just trying to figure out who I was. Again the confusion when I left home might have been significantly less had there been more balance in my family. The freedom was to much of a lure. By 17 years old I had my first tattoo and an eyebrow piercing. Not huge rebellions, but enough to explore my new found freedomand prove I needed more out of life. I was also a little obsessed with the show Alias and wanted to be Sidney Bristow :lol: so going to Dauntless where everyone wore black, got tattoos, and learned to be physically tough would have been the best option for me to test out all of my internal 16 year old cravings!
CLRogers90
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clrogers90.html
Latest Review: "A Bullet for Love" by Mohammad Bakhtiar

Post by CLRogers90 »

I would have been born in Amity and probably would have stayed. I would have been tempted to leave for Dauntless or Erudite, however I feel like I would be content where I was and be happy to stay with my family.
Latest Review: "A Bullet for Love" by Mohammad Bakhtiar
toryrose_13

Post by toryrose_13 »

I would have been born into Erudite because of my father's focus on learning. My mother was born Amity but chose Erudite. I would choose Dauntless, not because I'm particularly brave, but because I value self-expression. I like to think the braveness would have been gained as I progressed through training.
BookHipster
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 761">Grave Mercy</a>
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhipster.html

Post by BookHipster »

I've thought about this question multiple times throughout reading the book, and the rest of the series. It reminds me of the Harry Potter houses, and how it's almost impossible to pick one that you completely fit into because you still may have characteristics of the other houses. That being said, it is quite possible I would have been registered as Divergent, since I feel I have characteristics of all the factions. Some factions' characteristics are stronger than others though, such as Candor and Amity, and I would think about those when choosing, obviously hiding my Divergent status.

I believe my parents would be in Abnegation or Erudite. My father could have possibly been born an Erudite and left because he didn't feel smart enough as his family (even though he's a brilliant man); he often times feels like “the black sheep” of his family, much like Caleb did. My mom was born in a poor household, so I believe this would actually make her factionless. Since Abnegation work closely with the factionless, she could have run away and found a selfless family to take her in. If this is completely implausible, then she could have been born in Abnegation and left her family to Erudite, where she met my dad. So many options.

I however believe I am more Amity or Candor, since I am a kind soul and am really bad at lying and keeping secrets. I wouldn’t mind leaving my parents, especially in Erudite because I am smart, but not that smart, and if I really am Divergent I would be dead before the week. I would miss my parents, but eventually the little birdie has to leave the nest. Faction before blood, right? I however take a very long time to make decisions and this was just made on a quick whim. If this were real, I would feel the intense pressure at 16 that the choice I made would dictate the rest of my life, and if I didn’t choose correctly I could end up factionless. I feel like Amity would be more accepting and not as harsh a selection process as Dauntless or Erudite. So I would probably choose Amity with a heavy heart as I leave my parents.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

At 16 I was very much into just keeping the peace and having people like me and trying to like everyone else, so I probably would have chosen Amity.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Shadowhunter123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadowhunter123.html

Post by Shadowhunter123 »

I would have chosen Erudite because I enjoy learning new things, making new discoveries, and reading. However, I love adventures so I might also enjoy Dauntless.

-- 14 Apr 2016, 14:50 --

I would have chosen Erudite because I enjoy learning new things, making new discoveries, and reading. However, I love adventures so I might also enjoy Dauntless.
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

I would probably have been born into an Erudite family. I was always top of the class and education was one of the top priorities in my family. However, I would have chosen Candor. I am most definitely not brave to be in Dauntless, studying and doing research all day isn't exactly my cup of tea, being too peaceful isn't always a good thing and having to wear plain clothes all day and follow strict rules isn't what I want either. Besides, Candor is all about being truthful and you actually get to learn how to tell when people are lying as well!
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I believe that I would probably have been born into either Abnegation/Amity or Erudite and I would definitely have chosen Erudite. Regardless of all the secrets and evil, I would have thrived there and my love for academia would not have let me choose any other faction. I definitely admire those who choose Dauntless and I think my family can often be fearless and I might've been born into it, except for the fact that while we're fearless in life in general, none of us are physically too strong or brave.
My weekend is all booked!
MerryLove
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrylove.html
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MerryLove »

I probably would have been born into Abnegation. I was raised in a very selfless, christian home.

I think I would have chosen, however, to move to Amity at 16. Drugged bread and all. I was very emotional and living in a world of drama at 16. I definitely don't think I would have been old enough to make such a permanent life decision. I can see how many people could end up deeply regretting their decisions should they allow themselves to in this society, given the young age for such an important decision.
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

I would have been born into Abnegation, my family has always been humble and giving to others. In the end, I think I would have chosen Amity. I crave to be free and happy. Also, I'm not brave enough to jump off a moving train!
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I would have been born into Candor, my family isn't afraid of speaking their minds. But I think I would have chosen Erudite at 16, I love to learn and read and it seems like a good fit, except for the whole not having pets thing and how they seem to view themselves as better than anyone else. Maybe if it was more about learning and less about trying to seize power and not doing anything at all that seemed illogical it would be a no brainer, but alas. :(
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I think my answer now might be different than when I was 16, however the question specifically refers to what I would have chosen at 16. Jumping back into my 16-year-old midset, I probably would have chosen Erudite. I am doubtful that my family would have been in that faction to begin with and at that time I really hated pretty much my entire family. I would have gladly chosen a faction that took me away from everyone I hated. I had no social life to speak of and was taunted and teased for being different on a regular basis. I was not brave or outgoing, so Dauntless would never have come to mind. I was also pretty shy/timid, so I don't think that I would have been driven to join Candor. I found it best to be invisible instead of speaking up about how I really felt. At only 16, I had not formed an opinion about wars or violence. I saw myself as weak and invisible. I didn't think that the way I was treated was right, but I was not in a position to take a stance against it either. My life, at that point, revolved around being successful in school (which I excelled at) and going to college. Learning has always been important to me and at 16 it was even more so. For that reason, I am pretty sure I would have chosen Erudite.
Journey beyond the jacket.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”