What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Re: What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Post by Barbara Larkin »

Erudite would most likely be the faction I was born into because of the academic, problem-solving nature of my family. I think at 16, like most of my choices, I would have been vacillating between Abnegation and Candor, but then I'd probably jump back to Erudite where I was comfortable.
Edna016
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Edna016 »

Well my family and I are more for competition , and we don't like to settle. Well, my mom is not very active so she would just want something easy going. I'm not sure about my dad. I know that my 2 brothers would most likely have chosen Dauntless. I think my sister would have been stuck between Dauntless and the one where Caleb(Tris's brother) went. I would have went into Dauntless because I like a good challenge and I wouldn't want to settle. Making a choice that big- whoah my family and I would proabbly have separated into different factions but my mom would probably have wanted us to go into one together.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I wanted to be in Dauntless, but I was not cool enough for that, in reality I was (and still am) probably Amity and due to current events today, Amity sounds like bliss right now. However, we are all divergent here, as the factions were an experiment in the future splitting everyone's personalities into separate places, so yeah, I wanted to be Dauntless but was probably Amity, but in reality we are all divergent (I felt so inspirational writing that).
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I was born and raised within the Abnegation community. While it was easy for me to stay in the same faction at 16, I'd see myself choosing Erudite. If based on my personality alone, I would be torn between Amity and Erudite. I am seen as a calm person on the outside and I enjoy being at peace with everyone, but I have problems with socialization. Being around other people drain me, so to Erudite I go. I always strive to learn something new.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I would have been born into Amity and I'd have probably chosen Amity, to stay with my family. Tough decision though, because at sixteen a lot would have appealed to me. Brave, kind and smart. But going in knowing what I know now, I'd choose Amity. I love peace and happiness.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I am not sure what faction I would have been born into... My family is a hodge podge mix of different types. At 16, I believe I would have chosen Erudite, because I loved to read and learn. I wanted to become a geneticist.

Now that I am older, I honestly don't know what I would choose if I had to make a choice. I hate being categorized, and often annoy people because I don't like being predictable. I change like the wind - randomly.
Jerry Silvanus
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greghefley.html
Latest Review: Seeker 5 by Tayma Tameem

Post by Jerry Silvanus »

I would have born in candor but would chose erudite cause I like being the brains!
t_mann23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-mann23.html
Latest Review: Soria's Blood by D.L. Brownson

Post by t_mann23 »

Given my family, I probably would have chosen Erudite at 16. My parents didn't really put pressure on my siblings and I to do well in school, but we did anyway and we were the ones that held ourselves to that standard. My older brother was a model student, and I looked up to him so I wanted to be the same. Getting good grades and learning was so important to me, so I most likely would have chosen Erudite. If not, Abnegation.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

I'm seriously very confused. :eusa-think:

I just can't see myself fitting in perfectly in a single faction. Sure, my personality does fit in, like a little here and a little there but I don't feel very comfortable in saying that I belong to any one faction.
I'm probably divergent, but then we're all divergent. :D

The best I can come up with is a combination of Amity and Divergent, with a little bit of the others thrown in as well. The fact that I can't make up my mind is so weird. :?
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I would have chosen Dauntless at 16. I am very physically active and so I couldn't imagine being in any of the other factions. I would say that my test would've shown Erudite, Dauntless and Candor.
Phyll Kamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phyll-kamau.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Phyll Kamau »

I would have been born into Amity however at sixteen, I would have been factionless. My personality covers all four factions, yet I don't fully subscribe to any of them. I would have hated being ordered to decide my entire future at sixteen. When I was sixteen, I did not know what I would pursue in college or if I wanted to attend college. Deciding my entire future at sixteen would have been too daunting.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

My 16-y.o me wasn't the smartest. I would probably have gone for Dauntless then. However, now I think I would go for Erudite. Heck after 3-4 years of university, I wouldn't even mind Abnegation.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

Sixteen is such an impressionable age! Probably candor or erudite!
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

Dauntless. Without a doubt, it would be Dauntless. But now, after three years of undergrad and another of university, I think I'm more inclined towards Erudite.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I think my family would have been born into Candor. We are a very honest bunch. I don't think Candor is necessarily a bad faction. Actually, none of them are bad factions, it just boils down to individuals making bad decisions. Personally, I don't think anyone could be just one thing, but for the sake of answering the question, I think I would have chosen Candor.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”