What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: What faction would you have chosen at 16?

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I think I would have been born into Erudite. My parents were both college educated and intelligent. I was always expected to go to college, and my parents stressed the importance of lifelong learning. I think I would have chosen to remain in Erudite at the choosing ceremony.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I would have absolutely chosen Erudite. While I do value compassion and truth, I value knowledge and advancement above all else. While I am sure that I would be happy with my decision, the pressure of making a decision at 16 would be too intense, and I would hate it.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I probably would have been born into Amity.
At 16 I'd probably have chosen Dauntless or Erudite, leaning more towards Dauntless I think.
I still would choose Dauntless if I had to choose lol.
racelaine
Currently Reading: Dangerous Legacy
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-racelaine.html
Latest Review: Aftermath by Charles Williams

Post by racelaine »

I think my family would have been Amity, and I probably would have stayed there. The values they try to hold themselves to are ones that I try to hold myself to today. It would have to be completely overwhelming to make a lifelong commitment when really, at 16 you don't even know who you are.
courtneylmata84
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtneylmata84.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by courtneylmata84 »

I honestly believe I would have been born among the factionless. My family is infected with addiction and selfishness. They would have fought being any part of the system, even to their own demise. If I were able to somehow make it out of there and into a faction I would have chosen Dauntless at 16. I was rebeling in any way I could and trying to convince myself it was bravery. As an adult, I definitly would have realized the error of my ways and seen that I should have chosen Erudite. I'm a reading teacher now, so i obviously have pursued education and enjoy learning.
I feel that most of us being given opportunities at such a young age as 16 in real life make life altering decisions without looking at the future consequences with any clarity. Unfortunately, we operate entirely too much on emotion too often during that time of our life.
Kathleen Wolfe
Favorite Book: The Hour Game
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathleen-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Kathleen Wolfe »

I think I would have been born into abnegation and then switched to dauntless or erudite and then felt guilty about switching. :lol:
Atharva Joshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Atharva Joshi »

I would have been born into Erudite. My parents think that academic excellence and knowledge are the best qualities in life. At sixteen I would have Erudite, but for a different reason. I think research and gaining knowledge can help develop the world but the wise are also in Erudite. Also I think I would have been too attached to my family to leave them behind.
girly girl
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-girly-girl.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by girly girl »

I would have been born into Abnegation, since my parents are all about giving, which is great, but I personally wouldn't feel happy there. Grey clothes, no home decorations, all houses the same... I would choose Erudite. I love learning and studying new things and subjects.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

My family would definitely have been Erudite. I would have gone for the Dauntless at age 16, to be honest. At that age I was willing to prove everything and anything and I feel like showcasing my bravery, with the family history of intelligence would just be the best way to go about doing that.
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NovaFly »

I think at 16 I would be more then ready to make a choice although I would hesitate now, and I would have gone for Amity.
Weird_Illustrator
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-weird-illustrator.html
Latest Review: Otherside by Aaron Dennis

Post by Weird_Illustrator »

probably Erudite. I was always a mind orientated person and my family values education very highly so I guess...
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

As much as I would love to be a part of Amity, the truth is that I'd be best suited for Erudite, and that's the path I'd end up picking up; as for the faction to grow up at, I think I would have been born in Abnegation.
banevius
Currently Reading: Bones and the Treasure Map
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-banevius.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by banevius »

I think I would've been born into Abnegation due to my family's simple and uneducated background. At sixteen, I would've chosen Erudite. My family always knew I was college-bound, and I ended up the first in my family to go to college to further my education. Because learning has always been something I've been driven to do, I think I would've chosen Erudite at sixteen.

Making a decision that would determine my life's course at sixteen wouldn't have been easy, considering it meant leaving my family. But once it was done, I believe I would celebrate the new possibilities with my new faction family and look forward to the growth opportunities found in learning.
Balena
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balena.html
Latest Review: Black Beach by Olivia Rana

Post by Balena »

I personally feel that I would be born into Amity, as I share many of the same values and morals that they display. It is also a calm and laid-back faction.

At the age of 16, I would have probably chosen Dauntless, perhaps because the way that the faction presents itself and its structure really appeals to me. I have been through a lot of difficult and tragic times, so I feel that I would relate to Dauntless the most.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

DAUNTLESS!

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”