Reason behind the creation of the factions? Do they work?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
JQmortssen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Reason behind the creation of the factions? Do they work?

Post by JQmortssen »

I think people are forgetting that there still was choice, you had one choice. To stay in your faction or to leave for another. I agree that the initial separation of the society was to give order and peace in the government. I think it worked for a time because they were scared after the war and felt that this was the best way to unite the people. Obviously, later on the factions no longer served their purpose as there was no longer an emotional need for them.
Amesthenerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amesthenerd.html
Latest Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Post by Amesthenerd »

The factions were to keep peace. But people and people and they ruin everything.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

The factions were created to facilitate peace and order. You can't really have these two things without some type of order, however, and the factions created this divisiveness that caused prejudice and complexes.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

As mentioned above, they were split up into different groups. Each group had a different focus. On paper, this could be a great idea, but people change. Problems will occur. etc.etc.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

The factions did serve their purpose for a time. They kept the peace. People were bound to be dissatisfied (or should I say bored?) with what they had though. It was only a matter of time.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I think every human enjoys being with people they believe are "like them". As humans we form cliques in all situations. This is how I believe the factions came to be. They may not have even thought of the purpose of each faction yet but the broad idea was to keep like people together, in my opinion.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I don't think the factions work. I mean, those characters are human beings (in a fictional sense) and you can't just expect people to have one personality. People are complicated and they should be.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

According to the series, it didn't end up well. However, I personally would love such a society wherein everything was meticulously regulated and everyone had a clear cut purpose.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

Factions were created to bring peace , order and harmony was the original premise we were given. However, human nature doesn’t naturally segregate that way, so there are bound to be some people who don’t fit.
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

The system of factions as a whole didn't work out. I feel that's because it was too orderly, and human nature by default is chaotic. We are more entropic than enthalpic. Personally, I feel factions were a great idea. In today's society, we see a lot of people being stuck in jobs that they don't like. Factions on the otherhand, seem to be an excellent alternative to this conundrum.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

It seems like they were created to create order. As we learn later in the series, the people from outside the wall wanted to create Divergents like Tris. They thought if they put imperfect people together, eventually they would create a perfect set of people. This however was an imperfect plan because, as these novels present, no one is perfect. I don’t think the factions work at all because nobody can be just one thing. It is unreasonable to expect people to be kind but not brave or selfless but not smart, and so on. It’s unrealistic. In reality most people are Divergents.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Scott wrote: 03 Jun 2014, 13:17 The following discussion question was included in some copies of the June book of the month, Divergent by Veronica Roth.

What was the reason behind the creation of the factions? Do you think the factions are working "toward a better society and a better world" (p. 44) as they say they are? What about the structure seems to be working for Tris’s society? What doesn’t seem to be working at all?
I don't think they were created for the benefit of society but rather for the benefit of those in control. For one, a clear aim was to keep family members apart.
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Krishi Shah »

The factions seem to be an effort to reduce problems created by clashes between human traits and the inability of humans to manage them withing themselves. I definitely don't think they worked, they drained the human experience out of life.
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Krishi Shah »

I think the books were serious proof that the factions absolutely did not work in the long run and stomped all over human potential and complexity.
Sunday Onuorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-onuorah.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Sunday Onuorah »

The factions were supposed to keep the peace by keeping people in their places. However, it provided a situation where the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing and that led to the conflict.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”